News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I use an Obi unit for auto dialing of a security alarm system??

Started by McMurphy, August 17, 2012, 04:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McMurphy

I have just set up a basic Honeywell Lynx Plus alarm system which has a feature that will allow the unit to auto dial my cellphone through a landline if the alarm is triggered. The problem is that I have no landline.

Is anyone using an Obi unit for this type of alarm auto dial function? If so, please provide any additional setup issues that may be encountered. Also would this allow me to call into the alarm panel as is possible if I had a landline.

I currently have a google voice phone number.

jwoods

I think it's possible
But I don't use it. So my opinion can be wrong.

MurrayB

The Lynx may refer to a phone line connection rather than specifically a land line. The Obi presents as a phone line. The Lynx doesn't know the difference.

I would in no way rely on anything but the PSTN for my security systems.

Rick

Quote from: McMurphy on August 17, 2012, 04:43:28 PM
I have just set up a basic Honeywell Lynx Plus alarm system which has a feature that will allow the unit to auto dial my cellphone through a landline if the alarm is triggered. The problem is that I have no landline.

Is anyone using an Obi unit for this type of alarm auto dial function? If so, please provide any additional setup issues that may be encountered. Also would this allow me to call into the alarm panel as is possible if I had a landline.

I currently have a google voice phone number.

If you do a search of this forum, this has been discussed a few times.  You should NOT rely on VoIP for alarm calling.  If you are calling your cell, it likely will work fine if you're looking for a call.  If you're looking for tones to be transmitted, you may, or may not, get them properly.  Calling a central monitoring station may also not work, as the tones transmitted may or may not go through.  You may also find they refuse to say it will work.  And, if your internet is down, you of course won't get any contact.

Whether you can call your panel or not is uncertain.

McMurphy

I understand that it is not the most secure method. However, I have no landline and a cellular option is out of my budget right now. So something is better than nothing. All I really want is for my security panel (Lynx L3000) to auto dial out my prerecorded message to my cell phone - I take it this is not a tone. If I am able to call in to the panel to disable it if alarm goes off that is a bonus.

It would be great of someone could definitively confirm that the Alarm panel will auto dial out my message through the Obi unit before I make the purchase. Judging by the comments it seems that this should work. Thanks.

Trev

In Canada and looking for an OBi?
https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/

MurrayB

I agree with these caveats:

If you decide to connect to a central station get a line connected to the PSTN or a cellular communicator.

The Lynx may have a  battery backup in the case of power failure. Unless the OBI, your router, and your internet connection all operate during a power outage  you won't have any communication with the Lynx.