News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How can I block calls coming into Obi110 LINE port?

Started by paslax, August 29, 2012, 08:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paslax

I have Google Voice setup for all calls except for 911.  My DSL service "includes" a landline that can be used for an emergency and I've configured the Obi110 to route 911 calls through the landline.

I never use the landline number and I never give it out to anyone, but I receive 4-5 telemarketing and survey calls every day.  How can I configure the Obi110 to allow outbound 911 calls through the LINE port, but block all incoming calls?  Detailed instructions are appreciated, since I'm pretty new to this.

Another minor consideration that I'm worried about: what if I call 911 in an emergency and they need to call me back?  They will have the phone number (and address, etc), but they won't be able to call me back if I configure the Obi110 to block all incoming calls.  Am I just being paranoid?

jimates

that is the problem with blocking all calls. I don't know if you could contact your emergency call center and explain the situation and ask for the caller id for their incoming call. You can then put a rule for it to ring the ph and leave everything else out. You may even be able to have them note your google voice number for a call back instead of the land line.

Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> InboundCallRoute
the default is likely {ph}
change it to {} to never ring the phone for incoming calls

If you get a caller id for the call center you would configure it like this
{1xxxxxxxxxx:ph},{}
the number would need to be entered exactly like it will appear on the caller id.

I will not suggest calling 911, hang up, and wait for a call back to see what the caller id is. There may be multiple possibilities on their caller id also.