News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling NETTALK DUO Connected To BI110 PSTN Failed to Talk to Answering Machine

Started by osp2, September 01, 2012, 11:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

osp2

I have a OBI110 at home, and I also have a NETTALK DUO. I connected the phone line from NETTALK DUO to OBI110 PSTN port. We found out people calling the NETTALK DUO phone number that was connected to OBI110 PSTN port could not leave messages. I tested it with my cellphone for the case: (1) it turned out that after 4 rings, my answer machine connected to the OBI110 phone port started recording message, but my cellphone only heard busy signal; (2) I did another test to directly connect the NETTALK DUO phone line to the answer machine with phone instead of passing through OBI110 PSTN port, and the problem described above disappeared and my cellphone could leave message. It looks like the problem is related to OBI110 PSTN pass through. I wonder if you can provide some solution for my problem?

jimates

The problem is likely a combination of things with the Duo and the Obi. The NetTalk Duo is sort of fickle so not sure what is causing the problem. The NetTalk uses something called 'Early Media". NetTalk actually answers every call that comes into it. Sort of like google voice, it has to take the call in order to know how and where to deliver it. Check your settings for voicemail/forwarding etc. on your Nettalk account.

Even if you don't use Google Voice, here is my story with the Duo. It may help you understand it a little more.

I had the Duo and tried to use it with google voice. It wouldn't work because it took the calls, and then google voice would consider it answered. My other google forwarding phones would ring once and then nothing. The phone connected to the Duo would continue to ring, for 25 seconds (4 rings), then google voicemail would pick up. Picking up the phone connected to the Duo after it stopped ringing would result in hearing google voicemail announcement, or a busy signal if google had already disconnected the call.

Since google considered the call answered pretty much as soon as it was sent out, if it wasn't answered on the Duo within 25 seconds, google's voicemail would start. The Duo would continue to ring the phones, so answering could just find the google voicemail announcement in the middle, or already complete and nothing.