News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obitalk Service “Backing Off"

Started by mrjoe, September 15, 2012, 11:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrjoe

Does anyone know why my Obitalk has such problems connecting that it takes quite a while to register itself "Acquiring Service (over TCP)" and sometimes says "Backing off"

I used it for the first time to call another Obi110 user and it cut me off mid call.
I certainly wasn't expecting that!

QBZappy

mrjoe,

The ObiTALK service is not been 100% reliable. It has been somewhat flaky since day 1. I think for the time being that you can consider it as a back up/alternate service. It would be hard to justify building a business around the OBiTALK service if it can not be reliable. I suspect they will need to improve this service if they expect clients to pay for the OBiPLUS service since I think it relies on the OBiTALK service.

Just like GV, when the service is FREE, it is difficult for people to justify a complaint. However when people start paying for the service a new level of standard is expected and Obihai will be held responsible for any downtime. A case in point, whenever a Voipms server goes down there is an immediate thread discussing it on the "DSL Reports" web site. Any complaints at this point can be justified. Since the OBiPLUS product seems to be targeted at small/med sized business, and having said this, I think it might be a good thing for everyone owning an OBi device since I would expect the overall reliability of the service to be taken more seriously by obihai.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

mrjoe

Thanks QBZappy,
Does ObiPlus rely on this?

QBZappy

mrjoe,

Since you can expect the the OBiPLUS service to performs the same tricks, it is implied.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.