News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Poor call quality while Netflix is running

Started by cinc, October 03, 2012, 03:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinc

When nothing else is happening on my Internet connection, call quality is perfect.  However, when the family is watching Netflix, I can hear the caller fine, but I sound "choppy" to them.

(Time Warner Cable RoadRunner service; 7PM weekday speedtest.net stats are 31ms ping time; 15mbps download; .98mbps upload)

(I'm using my Obi with Google Voice, BTW, if that matters at all...)

(BTW, I did lock the Obi port down to 100 full duplex, but that didn't solve the problem.)

So, I bought a D-Link DIR-655 and configured QoS, even going so far as to create a rule that identifies my Obi by its static IP address and gives its traffic higher priority.

If the Obi and the new QoS-configured router were working together properly, this would result in better call quality even when Netflix is running.  That's not the case, though; even with QoS configured, call quality suffers when Netflix is running.

I guess what I'm wondering is this: Has anyone out there had a similar problem and resolved it by implementing QoS on their router?  Or, as I've suspected for a long time, will QoS only work on the public internet when the ISP's gear is QoS-capable?

I'm willing to leave well-enough alone and just pause Netflix when I'm having a (completely free) phone conversation if that's the way most people are doing it.  However, if QoS on a decent router should allow me to have a good-quality voice call while Netflix is running, then I'd like to try to get it working.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

LeoKing

I also had similar problem. When I was running the torrent client my calls were very choppy and people complained most of the time. The calls were great with crystal clear audio when I didn't run the file sharing apps. This happened to both OBi110 and MagicJack Plus. It was so bad that I had to turn off the file sharing whenever I needed to make/receive a call. I then bought a ZyXEL GS105S switch and connected the OBi110 & MJ+ to the high priority port of the Zyxel, everything else to the low/medium priority ports. This seemed to solve the problem, no more complaints from the people on the other end.

Edit: FYI, the Zyxel GS105S and GS108S are usually on sale on Newegg.com and Buy.com.

cinc

Thanks for the reply, LeoKing.

I hadn't seen that Zyxel switch before.  Pretty neat.  The problem with that setup in my situation is that I have wireless end-points that need connectivity, so I'd have to put my wireless router between the cable modem and Zyxel switch.  That means my wireless end points would be unmanaged, and could hog my upstream bandwidth.

I'm looking at the Zyxel router, though.  I'm hoping they'll be as effective the switches.

Best regards.

LeoKing

Yep, in your case, a wireless router with QoS will be better. My wireless N AP is behind the Zyxel switch.