News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dlink dir-615 (new firmware) and voip.ms getting to work without problems

Started by psychic99, October 14, 2012, 10:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychic99

Folks,

Inlaws move to cable modem and we get a dlink dir-615 i1 and I incorrectly figure the firmware is decent.  Well I upgraded to 9.02NA firmware (the latest) and immediately the Obi and voip.ms are just not happy.  Symptoms were crackly sound and incoming not ringing. Dealt w/ VOIP from the beginning, so I know the router is causing issues.  I put the Obi in DMZ, no dice.  So I figure there are some rewriting rules causing the issue.  So I read the forums and see to disable SIP ALG in Dlink.  I do that, no register.  So I'm assuming that now it's messing w/ the keepalive on known port 5060.  It is.  So disable SIP ALG in D-link (Advanced->Firewall setttings).  Make sure it's unchecked.

So I go on voip.ms and apparently they have alternative register ports, so I find that 42872 is a port one can use for registering.  Ok, so you have to change a few things on Dlink and obihai for this to work.

Step 1:  DHCP register your Obihai to a static DHCP address.  This is needed so that one can create a virtual server.  So you need to get the MAC from your obihai (go to status tab in dlink and look for 9C:AD:EF type mac).  Make sure the IP that you choose is within the range of DHCP (crappy firmware).  I choose the last IP so I know DHCP won't try to provision that address).  In this case it's 192.160.0.150

Step 2:  Create a virtual server port to punch through the SPI firewall:

Go to advanced tab in dlink, virtual server will be the default.  

Name:  Make one up (I use SIP_register)
Public Port, Private Port 42872
Protocol: UDP
IP address: The static IP of your Obihai in step 1

Step 3:  Change ports in Obihai.

You need to change 3 settings on the obihai and this requires you to go in the advanced settings in the Obihai for your voip.ms.  Enter Obi expert and click on setup wizard.  You will see ITSP settings and you should see your server xxx.voip.ms.  You need to change ITSP SIPProxyServerPort to 42872.  Do this by clicking obitalk settings, default device, and then change. (You just can't edit settings).

OK now you need to change two more settings.  Click on SP1 service, and change X_keepaliveserverport and X_Useragentport to 42872 also.  Make sure you don't have STUN setup and X_keepalivemsgtype is keep-alive. It's probably better to blow away your old SP1 profile and start fresh because these are the only three mods necessary.

Ok. reboot both the d-link and the obihai and enjoy success.

Note:  I could have kept 5060, however in the future d-link or Rogers may muck with that port, so that's why I figured it was easier to start with an alternative port off the radar.  Also you shouldn't need to open up any RTP ports (10000-20000).