News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dedicated VOIP handset

Started by AndyQ, April 14, 2012, 05:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyQ

Since I've had my OBI110, I've noticed that my broadband speed is much higher ... except when I am using my landline (picking up an analogue phone connected to the PHONE side of the OBI and pressing # to 'barge' immediately halves my data rate). Clearly there is something in my internal wiring that is interfering with the broadband signal, and one of the unintentional things the OBI is doing is to isolate my BT master socket from the internal wiring whenever the landline is not use.

One option I have is to fix the internal wiring, another is to go DECT-only, another is to junk the internal telephone wiring and use my ethernet wiring.

But that last option leads me to ask what is probably an easy question... Clearly an intended use of the OBI bridges is to allow people to use their existing internal analogue wiring to access VOIP services (or landline as appropriate with the 110), but I'd like to do effectively the reverse - i.e. to have a completely IP-based internal network bridging onto a landline (or VOIP as appropriate).

The question is... if I do this then is it possible to use a dedicated VOIP phone rather than a PC-based softphone/USB handset on the internal network? This means there is no need for any PC to be on, and my family will see something that is as near as possible to being identical to the current setup...

The standalone VOIP phones I can see on Amazon are CISCO, are PoE-based, and presumably require a CISCO gateway. Are there any that will work with an OBI?

Thanks

Andy

Stewart

If you connect an ADSL filter between the wall jack and the OBi Line port (or between the wall jack and an analogue phone), it will probably fix your broadband speed issue.

My own setup is as you suggest -- we use IP phones exclusively.  Except for testing, there is nothing connected to the Phone port.

Some IP DECT systems also have an analogue connection, for example see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigaset-S30852-H2312-B101-C610-IP-pianoblack/dp/B004U6NTXU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334464787&sr=8-3 .  The lower-end A580 IP, which is offered in Duo and Trio packages at attractive prices, does not appear to be sold in the UK, but see http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=a580+ip .  With such a system, if your VoIP service is SIP only, you would not need the OBi.  Of course, the OBi could still be used as a bridge to Google Voice, or for the many tricks it can perform (especially useful for inexpensive calling from UK mobiles).

There are many brands of IP desk sets that do not require PoE.  The OBi is perfect for allowing landline access from such phones.  We have some old Polycom 501 phones.  Polycom phones are designed for PoE, but an included or optional (depending on model) AC adapter can also be used. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=polycom+soundpoint+IP  IMO, Polycom has the best speakerphone performance, and are first class in other respects as well.  However, configuration can be difficult.

We also have two Aastra 6730i phones at our winter place.  Among other things, they can make and receive calls over the pseudo-landline (Orange Livebox) connected to the remote OBi.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=aastra+6730i&rh=n%3A560798%2Ck%3Aaastra+6730i&ajr=0

Other inexpensive IP phones of good repute (though I have no experience with them) include Yealink and Grandstream.

AndyQ

Many thanks for a most informative answer. I've ordered a Yealink, as a low-cost way of exploring the technology, and I'm looking forward to having a play with it  :)

Andy

AndyQ

Well the IP Phone has arrived, and after much reading of manuals and scratching of head I have come to the conclusion that I haven't a clue what I'm doing! I don't even know if I'm meant to be configuring the OBi to be aware of the phone, or the phone to be aware of the OBi... (I suspect a bit of both)

The phone config page has the following tab (the other tabs are just standard info). The (?) buttons are no help! If anyone has any idea where I should start then I'd be grateful for a few clues.

Thanks

Andy

Ostracus

Hard to read the image but it looks like the page were you fill in your VOIP provider information.

AndyQ

Quote from: Ostracus on April 18, 2012, 05:02:35 PM
Hard to read the image but it looks like the page were you fill in your VOIP provider information.
Sorry about the image size, I scaled it so it would fit on the page and perhaps I overdid it!

Yes, this is the page where I fill in the VOIP provider info. But what I want to do is to use the OBi as a VOIP bridge, so it can relay to the OBi's landline (or to the VOIP services configured into the OBi).

So I guess the OBi is my IP-Phone's VOIP provider, so that gives the IP address (is it a proxy server rather than a SIP server????) and port 5060 is mentioned in the OBi setup pages. The OBi config has a "User Login" button and a "User Settings" menu item (which is what I guess I need to put in the boxes in the phone config) but I can't find how to create a user. And what is the difference between "Register Name" and "User Name"?

Stewart, earlier in the thread, says the Polycom configuration is difficult. Any information about what he had to do would be extremely useful.

Andy

AndyQ

I notice the IP phone endpoint thread seemed to be asking the same question, but not be coming to an answer.

Am I right in thinking that the Cisco 7960 SIP phone with OBI110 thread and the Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk Using SIP threads may give some clues to what I need to do?

Andy

TimDan

Quote from: AndyQ on April 14, 2012, 05:16:37 PM
...  one of the unintentional things the OBI is doing is to isolate my BT master socket from the internal wiring whenever the landline is not use.

BT = British Telecom?
master socket = wall outlet?

QuoteOne option I have is to fix the internal wiring, another is to go DECT-only, ...

DECT = Digital Enhanced (or European) Cordless Telecommunications, i.e. cordless phone?

QuoteThe standalone VOIP phones I can see on Amazon are CISCO, are PoE-based, ...

PoE = Power-over-Ethernet?

Sorry, I'm a newbie, and those terms were snags for me for awhile.  Just thought I'd get them
cleared up for the other newbies.

*TimDan*

TimDan

Quote from: Stewart on April 14, 2012, 10:13:25 PM
If you connect an ADSL filter between the wall jack and the OBi Line port (or between the wall jack and an analogue phone), it will probably fix your broadband speed issue.

OK, now I get it - AndyQ has ADSL for his broadband Internet service, and he therefore can't disconnect his in-wall analog wiring from the telecom carrier's service box because it carries the ADSL signal to his ADSL modem.  Considering the expense, though, of equipping the entire house with IP phones and AndyQ's desire to keep the IP aspect entirely transparent, wouldn't it be an option to just bring a dedicated phone line to the ADSL modem from the service box and to disconnect the service box from the house in-wall wiring, thereby allowing him to use all the existing analog phones just as his family has up to now?

*TimDan*

TimDan

Quote from: AndyQ on April 18, 2012, 03:43:02 PM
Well the IP Phone has arrived, and after much reading of manuals and scratching of head I have come to the conclusion that I haven't a clue what I'm doing! I don't even know if I'm meant to be configuring the OBi to be aware of the phone, or the phone to be aware of the OBi... (I suspect a bit of both)

The phone config page has the following tab (the other tabs are just standard info). The (?) buttons are no help! If anyone has any idea where I should start then I'd be grateful for a few clues.

Thanks for the warning!  I had been considering doing the Yealink thing myself with SIP service providers such as CallCentric, or VOIPO, etc,, but I figured I'd get into VoIP in stages.  Since staying with existing analog phones throughout the house would require only running a dedicated line in from the carrier's service box to your ADSL modem and disconnecting your house analog phone wiring from the service box, why didn't you just do that?

*TimDan*

damian_ny

Has anyone had any success with the yealink with the OBI202?
I cant figure out how to bridge my googlevoice configured on the 202 to the IP phone.
specifically, what to use for:
Register name
user name/password
sip server
proxy(if needed)