News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone won't ring, but it can be answered

Started by thedoc, October 26, 2012, 10:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedoc

OK, i've looked around the boards, and I haven't found this particular problem:

I've got an OBi110 that's been running well for months, but now it won't ring the land line attached to it.  I can answer the phone call with the line silently 'ringing' ( as in i'm testing it and have the phone in my hand) and afterwards - but not while calling - the caller ID shows up. . .

I haven't yet tried plugging the obi directly into the modem, nor the phone directly into the obi, i'll try that tonight.  BUT: i just tried setting up callcentric to the Obi, and it also has the same symptoms: won't ring, but can be picked up.

What am i missing?  No wiring changes made, still can dial out, still can pick up when i know it's ringing, even without any indication.

Also, tried all google voice settings again: made a call from browser, etc. No improvement.

Thanks!

geva

I'd suggest that you do plug a phone directly into to OBi as this allows you to ensure that there is no problem with your home's wiring or other phones.

What type of ITSP are you setup with that is not ringing?  If it is GV, I'd suggest you look around on the forums as I've seen many other users who have been having GV problems.

dbrown

I see this was not answered.  We're having the same problem with anveo on the obi.  The phone simply doesn't ring.   We can see that the obi box believes it is ringing the phone, bu there's no sound.  This is true with multiple known good phones tested with direct connections to the obi box.  All we've gotten out of support is to switch from sip2 to sip1, but that's just a blind guess on their part -- in fact the obi box won't register anveo correctly on sip1  (another bug I guess) so its not possible to even test their suggest.

hwittenb

The voip provider tells the OBi to ring the phone.  There are some ring settings on the PhonePort.  The first thing you should try is changing the RingWaveform.  Sinusoidal is the default setting, change to Trapezoidal and test it.  You can also increase the RingVoltage.  The default RingVoltage is 70v.  You can try increasing that to the maximum 82v.