News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

multiple obi's - same syslog server

Started by rsriram22, October 26, 2012, 12:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsriram22

how do i differentiate between different obi's (across geographies) logging into same syslog server?

the log format seems to be the same - i do not see any obi name or mac id that differentiates one from another, unless none of the remote obi's are reporting at all..
have two 100s and one 110

QBZappy

rsriram22,

Call one of them. Your call should be logged.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

JohnBowler

Your syslogd knows the IP of the machine sending the syslog; since your Obis are in multiple geographical locations I assume they are not all behind the same firewall so the IP should identify the Obi.

John Bowler jbowler 2 acm.org

rsriram22

i still do not see the entries from different IPs.. i am using tftpd64 program. all i can see is the entries from obi on my local network. following is the message format:

Thu Nov 01 07:44:48 2012: <7> TCP:Connect OK(DNSQ)59
Thu Nov 01 08:34:38 2012: <7> TCP:Broken Connection(HTTPD) 22 -257
Thu Nov 01 08:34:39 2012: <7> TCP:Broken Connection(HTTPD) 23 -257

Nowhere do  i see any ip address or an identifier for each obi.. do i need to use a different syslog server program (my undertanding is that the syslog server logs messages "as-is" - no?)

QBZappy

rsriram22,

It not clear how you setup the syslog client in the far away OBi. Since it it physically located elsewhere you will need to setup the syslog server address with the permanent IP of you computer or setup a DDNS name pointing to your computer. Then in your local router, you will need to port forward the syslog port to your computer where you are running the syslog server. This is one way of getting the syslog info onto your computer.

System Management->Device Admin->
Syslog
Server =    noip.com (whatever)
Port = 514 (default)
Level = 7 (most verbose/max info)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rsriram22

yep - that is how i have configured my remote obi (using ddns) and i have forwarded port(514) on my localrouter to the PC running syslog server.