News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone (solved)

Started by Sophia, November 01, 2012, 01:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia

I just brought back to Canada an OBi110, I bought it from Amazon UK. I plugged it into the router and opened the correct ports, the router connection LED is solid green and I can access the device using the internal IP address.

However, I plugged in our phone into the "Phone" jacket and the external line into "Line", but I am getting no dial tone whatsever, also the leds keep flashing and don't become solid. I tried to add the device in OBiTalk, but it does not recognize the phone.

Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks! :)

ProfTech

Try the paper clip reset. Hold down the reset button on the bottom of the unit for about 60 seconds before releasing it. Note, however you will have to reconfigure it afterwards. Sounds like you're comfortable with using the portal. If your service provider is listed there it should be pretty easy to get it re-configured that way. If it isn't, you probably know what settings are required anyway.  :)

Sophia

Thanks. I probably sound a bit more confident than I am  ;D I'm not comfortable with the portal yet, I just managed to reach it to see if our router recognized it...

I did reset the device (until it flashed red) but alas, still no dial tone  ??? I plugged in our regular working phone, so I know it is not faulty. The two leds beneath "Phone" and "Line" just keep steadily alternating to indicate there is no phone plugged in... but there is.  :-\

Sophia

YAYAYAY! Thank goodness for search  ;D
This provided the answer: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2308.0

In summary, I had my husband give me a different power adapter and now the phone has a dial tone. On to real configurations, and then I'll probably really start asking questions  ;D ;D ;D

ProfTech

I was just about to ask if the adapter for the UK was correct for Canada. What VOIP provider do you plan to use? The choice may determine how easy or difficult it is to configure.

Sophia

Thanks ProfTech, I'm planning on using Google Voice for now, we also have a FreePhoneLine SIP but one step at the time :)
In fact I managed to set it up already, and our phone dials out using GV only now. I already resurrected an ooollddd thread to ask how to change that  :D