News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is it possible to use an ATA to connect to Obi110?

Started by JohnLennon, March 22, 2011, 07:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnLennon

My Obi110 is configured to use GV on sp1 and a SIP service on sp2. The SIP provider is in Europe and it's used for my various DID numbers for friends and family.

I have a Linksys ATA that I'd like to use to connect to my Obi110 over the Internet, is this possible?

My girlfriend doesn't need a phone but I can't stand her cellphone (too choppy), I'd rather setup an ATA that allows to connect to me directly so we can talk with a better connection - and if it goes to AA (optional) I can also give her the option to dial out.

With this setup the ATA won't have a PSTN line, nor it would be registered with a provider (if necessary, I could register with one, callcentric, voip.ms or similar).

Thank you for your suggestions

JohnLennon

I see firmware 1.2 has now IP dialing capability, which is great for making outbound calls to the other ATA in my example. How about direct IP dialing from the ATA to Obi110? How do I configure Obi to accept the call?

QBZappy

JohnLennon,

Hi

I'm thinking you could set up a free account with sip2sip. The linksys ATA should be able to connect with the OBi if it is set up with at least one commercial SIP account, or another free sip2sip account. If you want to give the linksys ATA caller access to the AA you might have to tweak the OBi settings for this.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

JohnLennon

The firmware released today allows for IP Dialing so I could call the ATA. The issue is how to get the ATA to IP dial Obi... I understand I could use a different service but ATA to ATA IP dialing is possible, I'm wondering how to do the same ATA to Obi.

QBZappy

JohnLennon,

Hi

I don't know about the linksys ATA. It might work if you can program a sip uri as a speed dial in that unit if it has that feature. I'll let someone else answer that one.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

oleg

Quote from: JohnLennon on March 23, 2011, 12:30:26 PM
...ATA to ATA IP dialing is possible, I'm wondering how to do the same ATA to Obi.

If one of two Obi110 lines (ITSP A / sp1 or ITSP A / sp2) is configured for SIP signaling - setup should not differ from ATA to ATA. I used direct dialing, with no third party (except DNS).
I did the following:
- have dynamic DNS or similar (unless destination has fixed IP)
- have signalling port on firewall (NAT) mapped to OBi device - that's X_UserAgentPort in OBi
- know user name (that's AuthUserName in OBi)
ATA should dial SIP URI in form "AuthUserName@dynamic.host.name:X_UserAgentPort".
You may use dial plan or speed dial in ATA or even setup hotline.
Here is the sample of PAP2 Dial Plan:
...|<#4:123456@friend.host.net:5061>|...
dialing "#4" connects to 123456@friend.host.net:5061.

JohnLennon

Thank you Oleg, this is exactly what I was looking for!  :D

majed@adwani.com

Quote from: oleg on March 23, 2011, 09:39:19 PM
Quote from: JohnLennon on March 23, 2011, 12:30:26 PM
...ATA to ATA IP dialing is possible, I'm wondering how to do the same ATA to Obi.

If one of two Obi110 lines (ITSP A / sp1 or ITSP A / sp2) is configured for SIP signaling - setup should not differ from ATA to ATA. I used direct dialing, with no third party (except DNS).
I did the following:
- have dynamic DNS or similar (unless destination has fixed IP)
- have signalling port on firewall (NAT) mapped to OBi device - that's X_UserAgentPort in OBi
- know user name (that's AuthUserName in OBi)
ATA should dial SIP URI in form "AuthUserName@dynamic.host.name:X_UserAgentPort".
You may use dial plan or speed dial in ATA or even setup hotline.
Here is the sample of PAP2 Dial Plan:
...|<#4:123456@friend.host.net:5061>|...
dialing "#4" connects to 123456@friend.host.net:5061.

Dear Oleg,

Thanks for this info which is also exactly what i'm looking for. I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate more as i'm new to setting up a SIP VOIP device.

I have setup SP1 as Google Voice, should I do the above setup for SP2 to enable ip dialing on my pstn line?
Can you give an example of the signaling port on the firewall? is it port 5060 for example?
Know the user name - do I assign a username in the client and obi
what dialing app should I use on the iPhone?

I'd appreciate your response.

Regards,