News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Internet (not call) drops when I use Obi

Started by Steph, November 02, 2012, 01:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph

I have the Obi100 and have the problem that when I make calls using it, my internet drops.  The call stays connected but I can't access the internet while on the phone (arguably it's a sign I should focus on the call and not multi-task).   As soon as the call is done, the internet picks back up. 

I called the internet company (I get 7mbps) and it's running at full speed.  They claim it's nothing on their end.  It's been a relatively consistent problem since I installed it this spring although there were a few random weeks where the internet stayed connected. 

Any ideas on what could be causing this? 

QBZappy

Steph,

I'm pulling up a chair for this one. I have the same problem with an OBi110 located in South America. Since I can not troubleshoot the issue properly due to the distance, I was never able to figure it out. I hope to learn from your experience.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Steph

Ostracus

So basically during a call, if you typed in http://www.whitehouse.gov your browser will sit and spin for awhile, then give up and say it can't connect?

How about if you type in 173.223.104.110?

lhm.

Try this from phone dial pad.

***# (pause) then 0 then 27 then 1 = Full Duplex, then hang up.

Go for it.

Steph

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, the ***# > 0 > 27 > 1 didn't result in any changes with the internet.   

I did a video to show what happens pre-Obi use and during Obi use to the internet.  Visited the whitehouse.gov and the IP address.  http://www.mediafire.com/?g35f7nboa7mue1j 

Hoping a visual will show what's happening more clear... or maybe solve the problem easily!

QBZappy

Steph,

Nice vid. This is a new 1st on the forum. The download link didn't work for me. If others want to view it you can download using the right click 'download as'.

Would be useful if you could reproduce this behavior with another router. There have been issues that have been router specific.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Steph

Thanks for the download tip!  

Hmmmmm... I'll see if I can find another router to test things out.  Probably won't be until next week since I'll be out of town for a bit.    But, will update when I get back!

MikeHObi

Something is up with the router or the obi.  It is almost as though the router is unable to handle the additional load from the obi being active on the network port it is connected to.  I've seen a marginal power supply on a router cause the WIFI radio to depower when moving data across the physical interface.  The obi doesn't move that much data, but it's possible. 

That seems more likely since the obi appears to be able to complete the call indicating that the data interface for it is up.  I'd suggest trying the test with your computer hard wired to the router vs just wireless to see if things stay up then.  My WAG is that it will and the issue is with insufficient power for the router wireless radio.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Steph

Okay.  Figured it out...

Since my internet comes in through the phone line, they had sent me a filter that I installed between the wall and the router.  Once I took that off, no more problems! 

MikeHObi

Quote from: Steph on November 19, 2012, 12:48:19 PM
Okay.  Figured it out...

Since my internet comes in through the phone line, they had sent me a filter that I installed between the wall and the router.  Once I took that off, no more problems! 

As you may already know, but perhaps not.  Those filters are to be used between a telephone handset and the wall. They should only be used if you notice call quality issues.  Shouldn't be anything between the telephone company termination point, and your router.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Steph

Definitely did not know so thanks for the explanation.  I'd had a land line previously and had troubles so it was a remnant long forgotten behind the desk...