News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Access Google Voicemail with PIN

Started by BrianH-MN, November 21, 2012, 07:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianH-MN

When I use my phone attached to my OBi100 and call my Google voice number, it takes me directly to the voicemail options to hear messages and etc.  Is it possible to be prompted to enter a PIN?  

I found the settings to modify all other phones that have been added to my Google voice profile, but I can't find any settings for my actual Google voice number that rings directly to my OBi100.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

hwittenb

Brian,

You go to your GoogleVoice web page for your GV number.

Click on your phone number on the left column.

You get a page that says for instance:
Forwards calls to: Google chat.  

Click on Edit under that

You get an edit page that says:

Voicemail Access: ?    
Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?
o Yes (default for mobile phones)
 o PIN required (for added safety)
 o PIN not required (for added convenience)
o No (requires pressing star during greetings -- default for non-mobile phones)

BrianH-MN

Thanks for the reply, but I have already checked those settings and it doesn't work.  If I call my own Google Voice number from the phone attached to the OBi100 it takes me directly into my voicemail options without prompting for a PIN.

Rick

Quote from: BrianH-MN on November 21, 2012, 10:23:33 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I have already checked those settings and it doesn't work.  If I call my own Google Voice number from the phone attached to the OBi100 it takes me directly into my voicemail options without prompting for a PIN.

Click EDIT on GoogleTalk for the SAME GMAIL ADDRESS that is on your OBi.  Require pin, then click SAVE.

BrianH-MN

The only option that matches my email address is the Google Chat.  I checked those settings and it is setup to prompt for a PIN, but it doesn't when I call my own number from the phone attached to the OBi100.

lhm.

Regardless of settings, does not request PIN for me either. Perhaps it is because one is already logged in via CHAT?

BrianH-MN

I posted this question onto the Google Voice forums as well and I received a response stating that this is a bug in the way OBi implements Google Chat:

"There's a bug in the way the Obi device emulates Google Chat.  Regardless of whether or not the option is configured on the GV settings page, to require a PIN entry to access voicemail, when dialing your GV number from the Obi-attached telephone, GV never asks for the PIN.  It's an unfortunate security exposure that has always existed with the Obi, and nobody seems interested in fixing it."

carl

I believe that. I am not able to get it working for a PIN request either.

SteveInWA

Hi Brian:

I'm the guy (Bluescat) who wrote that reply over on the GV forum, about it simply being a bug.

I've done some more testing today, and it appears to have nothing to do with the Obi; I unplugged my Obi completely, then logged into GV, and confirmed that the "require a PIN" setting was selected for Google Chat, then I logged into GMail and dialed my GV number using the GMail Voice and Video browser plugin (AKA Google Chat).  Sure enough, it does NOT ask for my PIN.  This is a Google Voice bug, and as we GV users have found, you can just forget about them fixing anything like this.

If anyone cares to prove me wrong, I'd be delighted.  I'll update my post over on the GV forum.