News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't dial out consistently on landline with Obi

Started by PSU77, November 27, 2012, 06:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSU77

I have had an Obi 110 for a couple of weeks.   All of my incoming and outgoing calls are set up to go through my landline.  However, 2 out of 3 times whenever I try to dial out of my landline phone (connected to the Obi), I get a dial tone and it rings once, pauses for about 10 seconds and then I get a message, "if you wish to make a call". 

When I checked call history, it shows the call connected but it really didn't.  I can call out using **1 for Google voice without a problem.   All incoming calls are fine.

As I said, it happens 2 out 3 times.  I have other phones on the landline (not connected to Obi) and there is no problem with those.

I've rebooted and disconnected the plug several times and it doesn't fix it.

Any suggestions?   Do you think this is a hardware issue with the Obi?

hwittenb

PSU77,

I would try increasing the DialDelay parameter on the Line Port.  This is the "delay in ms after off hook before dialing the first digit".  The default delay is 500 ms.  Try increasing the delay to 1000 ms to see if that makes a difference.

ianobi

QuoteWhen I checked call history, it shows the call connected but it really didn't.

This is to do with:

Physical Interfaces > Line Port > DetectOutboundConnectMethod

If set to "None" or "Assume connected after a short delay", then the OBi110 assumes that any call going out on its Line Port connects no matter what the actual situation is.

PSU77

Update -  I think I fixed the problem.  

I set the Physical Interfaces > Line Port > DetectOutboundConnectMethod = None

Thanks for the advice Ianobi

PSU77

Update #2

Well I almost fixed the problem.   This morning I couldn't dial out with the landline unless I pressed # at the beginning of the number.  I then rebooted the Obi and it seems to be working now.

So I'm not sure I completely fixed the problem.  It does take a few seconds for it to start ringing for an outgoing call as compared to the regular landline phones.

I did talk to Tech support yesterday but they made me make several changes that made it worse so I have a lot more confidence in advice I get from this forum.

Any other suggestions?

PSU77

Update #3

I tried the suggestion from hwittenb to increase the dial delay parameter to 1000.  So far it seems to be working.  I'll see if this fix holds.  Thanks for the advice

PSU77

Update #4

It looks like increasing the DialDelay parameter fixed the problem for good.   Thank you to both Ianobi and hwittenb for taking the time to give me advice.

zapattack

The default dialing settings are for a perfect PSTN line.
But, the Obi was designed to attempt to compensate for other lines as soon as it connects to the line.
If you press #, wait for dial tone, the hit a digit, you will probably hear an echo.
As you dial more digits, the echo will decrease.  However, if the Obi dials automatically, or quickly, the first
digit is mangled. Increasing Dial Delay usually solves this problem

You can usually safely speed up the automatic dialing by reducing Dial Digit Off Time to 80.