News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can Google block Obi devices from using Google Voice if it want to? How likely?

Started by onepolarbear, December 06, 2012, 09:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onepolarbear

Can Google block Obi devices from using Google Voice if it want to?
How likely is this?   (or have they ever done it in the past?)

Thanks! :)

Rick

Quote from: onepolarbear on December 06, 2012, 09:33:05 AM
Can Google block Obi devices from using Google Voice if it want to?
How likely is this?   (or have they ever done it in the past?)

Thanks! :)

You seem determined to uncover every possible way that the OBi might not work.  As discussed in a post just yesterday, earlier in the year GV made a change that stopped ALL OBi devices from being able to use GV.  OBi scurried around and made a firmware change in just under 24 hours (I don't remember the exact length of time but it was closer to a full day than not) to fix the problem.  The reality is that OBi and GV don't seem to have any dialog.  The reality is that Google doesn't give a rat's behind about the OBi device and could make a change at any time that could render the OBi inoperable as concerns using GV.  

How likely?  No one has any answer to that, it's just a waste of time to speculate.

In short, if you can't live with an OBi paying for itself in two months of disconnected POTS, don't buy it.

If you can't live with an OBi not working for a multitude of possible reasons (didn't reboot properly after a power outage/hickup, etc), and you not knowing it isn't working until you try to make a call (or see Google Voice Voicemail messages being emailed to you), don't buy it.

If the person that is getting an OBi has no computer knowledge, don't get it for them (or don't buy it if this is you).  For example, I would NEVER, EVER buy one for my elderly relatives and then have them calling me on their cell because the OBi won't let them make calls.

If you must have 100% (or near) reliability on a phone line, keep POTS.