News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

pbx analog port across VPN

Started by Nelecaster, December 09, 2012, 10:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelecaster

I need to have non-IP PBX analog port appear across town on regular 2500 set.

hwittenb

The easiest way with OBi adapters to bridge a call to a distant extension is to use the built-in OBiTalk service and send the call out over the internet thru the OBi servers to an OBi adapter attached to the remote phone.  This technique is simple to configure.  It is a built-in supported service.  It is also possible to do this with direct ip calling just over your VPN but it isn't officially supported and it is possible you could run into some networking problems.

You interface the FXO (Line) port of an OBi110 to the analog PBX and you bridge the call to a distant OBi100 (or OBi110) attached to the remote analog phone.

For the call coming from the PBX, you configure the Line Port Inbound Call Route to send the call to the distant OBi adapter which sends the call to the phone. 

For the call coming from the distant OBi you setup the Phone Port outbound call route on the distant OBi to send the call to the OBi to the Sip service Inbound Call Route which dials the call on the FXO (Line) port which is attached to the PBX.

Midshires

Quote from: hwittenb on December 12, 2012, 10:17:43 AM
The easiest way with OBi adapters to bridge a call to a distant extension is to use the built-in OBiTalk service and send the call out over the internet thru the OBi servers to an OBi adapter attached to the remote phone.  This technique is simple to configure.  It is a built-in supported service.  It is also possible to do this with direct ip calling just over your VPN but it isn't officially supported and it is possible you could run into some networking problems.

You interface the FXO (Line) port of an OBi110 to the analog PBX and you bridge the call to a distant OBi100 (or OBi110) attached to the remote analog phone.

For the call coming from the PBX, you configure the Line Port Inbound Call Route to send the call to the distant OBi adapter which sends the call to the phone. 

For the call coming from the distant OBi you setup the Phone Port outbound call route on the distant OBi to send the call to the OBi to the Sip service Inbound Call Route which dials the call on the FXO (Line) port which is attached to the PBX.

This sounds like the answer to my own situation. At my location I have a Panasonic KX-T206 analogue PBX plus a broadband connection with a dynamic IP address. My brother has a broadband connection with a dynamic IP address. I'd like to extend one of my PBX extensions to his (remote) location using VoIP, so that dialling extension 25 on my PABX rings a perfectly standard analogue phone with a standard touch-tone keypad at the far end. Similarly when my brother picks up this phone, he will get dial tone and be able to dial any other extension on the PBX (or 9 to make an external call).

So my questions are: 

1. Will this work, given that we both have dynamic (not static) IP addresses?
2. Do we need OBi110s at each end?
3. Can we leave it to OBiTALK to sort out the connectivity and handle the 'hotline' handshaking process, so that it  is completely invisible from the users, with the remote extension phone behaving just as if it was a normal  extension on the PBX?
4. In the configuration described, does my brother hear the actual dial tone provided by the PBX or do I need to get the remote TA to generate its own dial tone?

Have I forgotten anything?

I have used Linksys TAs in the past, more as a user than as a techie. But am brand new to OBi equipment, so please forgive my need for hand-holding!

Very many thanks for any help, the more detailed the better! I shall be extremely grateful.

Andy.

ianobi

Midshires - welcome to the forum.

There's a few suggestions from me and others and links to follow here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2459.msg32936#msg32936

Your questions:
1. The OBiTALK network will resolve this, so not a problem.
2. You need an OBi110 at the PBX end. The remote end can be any OBi. Depending on how you approach this it can be just a dumb OBi, so a OBi100 will do, or it might be needed for other services in which case a OBi110 or OBi202 might be useful.
3. Yes. Have a read of the above link. There are pros and cons to different configurations.
4. Depending on the configuration chosen, your brother gets dial tone from the remote OBi or from the PBX.

Hope that gives you plenty of reading and thinking  :)

Come back with any questions.

Midshires

Marvellous stuff, Ianobi.
I had not spotted that other posting but I shall study it now.

Most grateful to you, Andy.

QBZappy

Since the title of this thread reads "Re: pbx analog port across VPN", a far away extension could be setup directly to the PBX, reducing complexity and a a potential point of failure. The far away end point can be configured exactly the same way as any local extension.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.