News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 110 not ringing (but not for the reason you're probably thinking!)

Started by Saige, December 20, 2012, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saige

So I'm just setting this up. And I'm thinking that the instructions are pretty easy to follow.

I can make outgoing calls from the Obi, but incoming calls do not ring my phone!

I have come across the instructions to make at least one outgoing call through the Google Chat device in the Google Voice web page, but there is a complication...

When I originally set up this GV account, I did not use a @gmail.com address: I used a company e-mail address like jim@xyz.com (not the real address I used). So my GV account login used jim@xyz.com, and my Google Chat id was jim@xyz.com.

On setting up the Obi, one of the instructions led me to believe that the e-mail address of Google Voice needed to end in @gmail. So I went into the GV admin page, and added an alternate email address: jim@gmail.com. Once I did that, Google Voice took it over and made it the PRIMARY address for the account. Now the account's main address is "jim@gmail.com" and the alternate is "jim@xyz.com".

BUT, the Google Chat id is still "jim@xyz.com".

Now if I setup the Obi using the "jim@xyz.com" address, when I try to make an outgoing call, I hear a message saying there is no service. (I guess because the main GV login is now "jim@gmail.com")

But if I setup the Obi using the "jim@gmail.com" address, I can make an outgoing call, but incoming calls do not ring my phone. (I guess because the Google Chat id is "jim@xyz.com")

So far, I have found NO WAY to change the Google Voice account main id back to "jim@xyz.com" OR change the Google Chat id to "jim@gmail.com".

Convoluted, I know. Is there a solution? Thanks.

Rick

Saige

So I selected "Settings" and where it says, "Google Chat", I clicked the Delete button. Then I logged out of the GV account. When I logged back in, there is a(nother) "Google Chat" icon in my list of numbers that I can forward to called "jim@xyz.com" (NOT "jim@gmail.com").

Did I mis-understand what you suggested?

giqcass

Did you go into Google Voice settings and turn on call forwarding to Google Talk?  You probably did but I have to ask since you can make calls but not receive them.  In addition if you have special forwarding set up for groups they may override the default setting.  Therefore not ring Google Talk which they must do.  So check that any group settings also ring Google Talk if you set them.

Look under "Groups and circles".
Long live our new ObiLords!

Saige

Yes, I forwarded to Google Talk. When I check the settings in "Groups and Circles", it looks like calls are set to forward to all devices.

The thing that I think is causing the problem is that my Google Talk device (jim@xyz.com) has a different address than my Google Voice account (jim@gmail.com). As I said in my first post:

- when I setup the Obi device to login with "jim@gmail.com", I can call out, but the phone does not ring on incoming calls.

- when I setup the Obi device to login with "jim@xyz.com", I cannot call out because a voice says that there is no service.

Can anyone confirm that this is the problem? If so, what can be done to correct it?

QBZappy

Saige,

Delete everything and retry using a name@gmail.com acct. Should fix all your problems.

Defintion of delete:
Reset to factory defaults
Delete OBitalk acct
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Saige

Thank you very much for this suggestion--an excellent one.

I have done a factory reset of the Obi, and although I could not figure out how to delete my ObiTalk account, I did create a new one. Then I set it up with the Google id "jim@gmail.com".

It didn't work. I can still call out, but calls into the account do not cause the Obi to ring the phone (and yes--the phone's ringer does indeed work!)   :)

I still think that the problem is that the GV account has a different id (jim@gmail.com) than the Google Chat (jim@xyz.com). But I can find no way to reconcile this on Google. And it seems that ObiTalk has no way to deal with it either.

I would just delete the Google Voice account altogether and start a new one, but then I would lose my Google Voice phone number, and that would be very painful!

Any other ideas!?

QBZappy

There is a delete device button if you click on the OBi icon. Before making any final conclusions delete the OBiTALK acct properly, and try again. Also delete the GChat under the GV gear settings as well, and remake that 1st phone call.

A clean install should work. I haven't seen anyone fail in the manner that you describe.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Saige

Thanks, QBZappy,

I believe that I have done what you asked:

- In the ObiTalk web admin page, I found the Delete Device button. Clicked it, and removed the device from my account.

- In the Google Voice web page, I clicked the "gear" button, selected "Settings", "Phones", and then clicked the "Delete" button.

- I logged out of the GV account, logged back in, finding the GV has created a new Google Chat software appliance for me.

- I re-established my Obi device in my ObiTalk account setup page.

Phone still doesn't ring.

Does anybody else have the situation where the Google Voice e-mail address is actually different from the Google Chat ID? Does Obi work in that circumstance?

Thank you.