News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

True IP phone support

Started by televoip, December 22, 2012, 07:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

televoip

I recently bought an Obi202 with the thought that I would connect my analog phones, GV, a couple VoIP services, and my IP phones (Polycom).  The Obi is a fantastic device, but it doesn't really support IP phones.  Yes, you can sort of fake it to work, but I would like full support to register my IP phone to the Obi and seamlessly interconnect all devices and services. I think ObiPlus is a start in that direction, but it's phone support is very limited.

So here is my question.  Will the Obi ever support IP phone registration?  I got my Obi at a good price so I'm trying to decide if I should hang on to it because it may do what I want in the future, or if I should just send it back.  It is a wonderful device for what it does, it just doesn't do what I want.

giqcass

What doesn't it do that you want it to?  The OBI won't allow registration but on the inside of a network I don't know of any reason why you would need to register.  If you set it up correctly it should allow all the features of the IP phone to work. What am I missing?
Long live our new ObiLords!

televoip

You aren't actually missing anything.  While you are correct, I disagree that there is no reason to register a phone.  For security, and ease of use, I prefer to have my phone registered.  Since the Obi has the ability to register itself to other services, it wouldn't be that much work to allow the obi to register phones.  Clearly it has been considered or ObiPlus would not have been invented.  This is a feature I would like to see added. 

mrjoe

Me too!

I can't dial properly on my Snom320 if it's not registered.

giqcass

When I read your question I imagined it being used on a small network with the Obi and IP phone on a single subnet.  If you have multiple subnets it could begin to get complicated.  I only use three subnets and most of the equipment stays on one.  I didn't really see security as an issue because the action is happening on a private network between the Obi and the IP phone.  Registration could make things simpler in a complex environment.  It had not occurred to me that the IP phone would actually require registration as I have not seen any devices that didn't allow you to turn that feature off.
Long live our new ObiLords!

rousseau1

Quote from: televoip on December 22, 2012, 07:20:57 AM
I recently bought an Obi202 with the thought that I would connect my analog phones, GV, a couple VoIP services, and my IP phones (Polycom).  The Obi is a fantastic device, but it doesn't really support IP phones.  Yes, you can sort of fake it to work, but I would like full support to register my IP phone to the Obi and seamlessly interconnect all devices and services. I think ObiPlus is a start in that direction, but it's phone support is very limited.

So here is my question.  Will the Obi ever support IP phone registration?  I got my Obi at a good price so I'm trying to decide if I should hang on to it because it may do what I want in the future, or if I should just send it back.  It is a wonderful device for what it does, it just doesn't do what I want.
Myself and I am sure alot of people feel the same way, I also see potential but I also have alot of ?s and ask, "is the juice worth the sqeeze". and I swear at times I damn near lost my mind in the quest for convergeace because also I have some big ideas as to what the obi and google and some rock solid hardware could lead to convergeance and the piece of mind to never give VZW another f#ck1n penny.

After a couple month's, I am almost there. Good luck. Hopefully, someday Obi will  come "full circle" and make this fruegle geek gitty. 
OBI 110