News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Random incoming calls

Started by ongfr032, January 02, 2013, 11:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ongfr032

Hi, I have used Obi100 for the past 3 months without a problem. I have setup SP1 for freephoneline and SP2 for voip.ms but lately I have been receiving calls from sipcall, test123, admin, demo 3-4 times a day.

I did not change any settings since I first used this device and this occured all of a sudden. I have checked call logs from both voip.ms and freephoneline and they are not registering these calls.

However when I checked the call history of my obi 100, it registers these calls, if anyone could help me that would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

ianobi

Welcome to the forum!

This is a well known problem created by scanners. Have a read through this thread:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4067.msg30166#msg30166

You may have to modify the answers to suit your particular setup.

ongfr032

Thanks! I read the link you just posted and I'll definitely try the solutions listed there. Another question, what are sip scanners and what do they do?

ianobi

That's a much harder question! It seems to be a case of scammers using scanners. They program a scanner to test millions of IP addresses and test port 5060 in particular. Port 5060 is the standard SIP "listening port". The default in all OBi devices is to use port 5060 as the UserAgentPort for sp1.

Why they do it? I'm not sure. Maybe they hope to find a way into using honest people's SIP devices to make free phone calls. It does seem like a lot of effort for not much reward!