News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

connecting phone port to RJ31X for alarm panel on OBI202

Started by corporate_gadfly, January 04, 2013, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corporate_gadfly

Hi there,

I have an OBI202 device. I am planning to connect the unused phone port #2 to the RJ31X for alarm panel (which is connected to Rogers home phone wiring at the moment).

The Obi202 and the alarm panel are within a few feet of each other. What is the recommended cord for connecting the phone port to the terminals inside the RJ31X? Just to be clear there is no connection at all currently on phone port #2.

Any words of wisdom?

Something like a RJ11 cord with 4 spade terminals at the other end would be ideal? Does that exist?

-edit-Found this:

Need to find it locally now.

Thanks in advance.

RFord

If you are dedicating one of your SPx for your alarm, there is no need to seize the phone line and hence, you only need a single pair (2-conductor) cable.  Currently, my Alarm System is monitored by Alarm Relay and I have their ARIM Device, which is really a PAP2T-NA ATA and is only using Phone Port 1.  I have it hooked to the Ademco VISTA 20P Panel with a two conductor (Red and Green) cable as shown below:

http://www.alarmrelay.com/libraries/misc/pdf/ARIM%20Installation%20Guide-120312.pdf

See page 3 for connection illustrations.  Note:  An RJ31X  is not needed in this case.

Which VOIP provider wwould be utilize to send the your Alarm Signal to the monitoring company?  Do you know if the signal will be sent properly/reliably to your monitoring company through VOIP?  Are you located in the USA?  What Security Panel do you have?  There might be other options available that are more robust!

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: RFord on January 04, 2013, 02:09:33 PM
If you are dedicating one of your SPx for your alarm, there is no need to seize the phone line and hence, you only need a single pair (2-conductor) cable.  Currently, my Alarm System is monitored by Alarm Relay and I have their ARIM Device, which is really a PAP2T-NA ATA and is only using Phone Port 1.  I have it hooked to the Ademco VISTA 20P Panel with a two conductor (Red and Green) cable as shown below:

http://www.alarmrelay.com/libraries/misc/pdf/ARIM%20Installation%20Guide-120312.pdf

See page 3 for connection illustrations.  Note:  An RJ31X  is not needed in this case.

Which VOIP provider wwould be utilize to send the your Alarm Signal to the monitoring company?  Do you know if the signal will be sent properly/reliably to your monitoring company through VOIP?  Are you located in the USA?  What Security Panel do you have?  There might be other options available that are more robust!

Thanks for the response. Duly noted about the lack of need for RJ31X.

So, I guess I should look for a two conductor (red and green) with half-cut spade terminals.

Same panel as yours (Ademco Vista 20P with ADT). Located in Canada. VOIP provider for local calls is freephoneline (using SIP).

Regarding your question about whether the signal is sent properly/reliably, for now, I am just trying out my ATA to see how well it does (in test mode). Keeping the "land line" (Rogers Home Phone) for now.

Thanks again.

Rick

Or you can just cut the end off a phone cord and strip the wires...

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: RFord on January 04, 2013, 02:09:33 PM
Currently, my Alarm System is monitored by Alarm Relay and I have their ARIM Device, which is really a PAP2T-NA ATA and is only using Phone Port 1.

Just curious, is Alarm Relay recommending any other measures when using the ARIM device? For example, a UPS.

Or do they only recommend cellular as a backup.

My ATA, cable modem and router are all protected by a UPS to give a few hours of redundancy (as long as the cable company does their part and the cable itself is in tact).

corporate_gadfly

RFord

The proper thing to do is to have UPS to backup your system and Alarm Relay has not made any specific recommendation as far as that is concerned.  I plan on purchasing a UPS for the pertinent devices, just haven't gotten around to it.

There is a Canadian Company that makes this device:

(EnvisaLink 3)EVL-3 - Envisalink Internet Alert Module for DSC & Honeywell Security

https://www.eyez-on.com/EZMAIN/envisalink3.php

that you can connect to your Ademco VISTA 20P and you can ARM and Disarm the System from you Android/iPhone phone and also receive SMS/Text messages of opening/closings and other alerts  from your System.  They can also monitor your alarm via IP Monitoring using this same device thru their "EnvisAlarmâ„¢ service" (A Canadian UL Monitoring Company).  Their Monitoring rates are much lower than ADT I'm sure.  You can also monitor remotely any IP Cameras thru the EnvisaLink 3.

I recently ordered the device and waiting for its arrival to hook to my system.  Will switch to monitroing through this device if and when Alarm Relay allows this.

Good Luck!!

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: RFord on January 04, 2013, 03:25:36 PM

I recently ordered the device and waiting for its arrival to hook to my system.  Will switch to monitroing through this device if and when Alarm Relay allows this.

Good Luck!!
Thanks for the info regarding EnvisaLink 3. It's impossible to find out how much the monitoring costs by looking at their website alone. Searching the forums reveals that it can be activated from the web portal but no idea about the cost.

RFord

Here is a link to the EnvisaLink 3 Forum where the pricing plan is discussed:

http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=207&sid=3731d931200e5a5e0d1b047d3f1446f0

Third pricing option now available for full IP monitoring.

There are now 3 price plans available:

Plan 1: No-Term Contract
A one-time activation fee of $39 applies and then pay just $11.99 per month. No commitment.
Cancel any time.

Plan 2: Yearly Prepaid
A one-time activation fee of $39 applies and a pre-payment $107.88 per year (equivalent to
$8.99/month).

Plan 3: 3 Year Contract
Sign-up for 3 years of monitoring and pay only $8.99 per month. We'll also waive the $39
activation fee. That is a savings of nearly $150 over our No-Term plan.

These plans are initially only available in the US and Canada. Excluding Puerto Rico and Hawaii

Currently I pay US$9.99 per month for Monitoring with Alarm Relay.  Their ARIM Device cost $144 or $150, although I was able to get my Device for free.  There ARIM does not allow for remote Arm/Disarm or receive SMS alerts, etc.!  Alarm Relay charges $8.99 per month for the first year, $9.99 for the second year and $10.99 per month for the third year and onward.  They bill for  the entire year in advance.

Rick