News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

When I call 911, do Anveo/Callcentric/Verizon Wireless all reach the same 911?

Started by TimSpencer, December 13, 2012, 07:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimSpencer

I just finished setting up my Obi110 with GV.  Just one last thing to configure, which is 911.

I'm probably going to use one of these:

Anveo (almost free)
Callcentric (a few bucks a month?)
Rely on my Verizon Wireless cell phone (already paying them)

My questions are:

(1)
When I'm at home and dial 911, does my 911call get answered by the exact same 911 dispatch center, regardless of which method I use to dial it? 

(2)
Which of of the three options is more reliable?

(3)
I have never dialed 911 in my entire life(knock on wood).... without revealing my real age, I'll just say my age is between 30 to 50. :) Is it okay for me to make a "test call" to 911? Obviously I will do it when they are most likely to be not busy, say 4:00AM?  Or do I need to get permission from their non-emergency number first?

Sorry for such newbie questions... Thanks in advance! 

Rick

Quote from: TimSpencer on December 13, 2012, 07:38:02 PM
I just finished setting up my Obi110 with GV.  Just one last thing to configure, which is 911.

I'm probably going to use one of these:

Anveo (almost free)
Callcentric (a few bucks a month?)
Rely on my Verizon Wireless cell phone (already paying them)

My questions are:

(1)
When I'm at home and dial 911, does my 911call get answered by the exact same 911 dispatch center, regardless of which method I use to dial it? 

(2)
Which of of the three options is more reliable?

(3)
I have never dialed 911 in my entire life(knock on wood).... without revealing my real age, I'll just say my age is between 30 to 50. :) Is it okay for me to make a "test call" to 911? Obviously I will do it when they are most likely to be not busy, say 4:00AM?  Or do I need to get permission from their non-emergency number first?

Sorry for such newbie questions... Thanks in advance! 

FYI, your questions are answered throughout these forums, the SEARCH function is somewhat rudimentary, try SITE:www.obitalk.com/forum, then a space, then the term.

1) Possibly, but no guarantee.  If you setup Anveo or Callcentric PROPERLY, it will go through a third party, which then routes the call to the right 911 center and provides your address, ASSUMING YOU GAVE THE PROPER ADDRESS to them when you setup your E911 service.

Your cellphone goes to the nearest tower which then routes the call to the nearest 911 center, which may, or may not, be the one that your area is serviced by.  And it is 911, not E911.  They know your phone number, but not your name or address/location.  They can triangulate on a rough location if your signal stays active, of by going through the cell companies to find the last location of your phone.

2) Reliable in that it's guaranteed to work?  Your cell phone, but it will go to the closest tower and then to that tower's center.  I had Callcentric provide an improper address due to a "glitch" that they had with their third party database provider AFTER I had already verified things worked.  Luckily it was not an emergency.

3) Yes, you can make a test call.  Try finding their NON-EMERGENCY number and call that to ask permission.  They discourage calls during times of threatening weather, and rush hours.  The first words out of your mouth when you do dial 911 should be "THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY".  Then explain you are calling to verify that your new phone provider reached the proper emergency center, and ask them to verify your name and address (except Verizon).

chriswx

Hi There,

At least in Connecticut, with Verizon Wireless, if you dial 911 your call will route to the local State Police Barracks which serves the area where the cell tower is located.  So, if you town has a local police department, it will not route to their 911 dispatcher.  The State Police would need to transfer you to your local police Department's 911, once you tell them where you are located. I'm sure other states may operate similarly to that, although I only have the experience with how it works here in Connecticut with the cell phones and 911 routing.  The other posting is correct that other VOIP services offering E-911 would route you to your local 911 center, only if the address you provided is correct.  You would also need to remember to update the address with them if you move, otherwise the call would be routed to your old location's 911 service.

Chris

lhm.