News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 with Netgear WNDR4500

Started by steveken, January 13, 2013, 12:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveken

I just upgraded my router from an old Belkin which never gave me troubles with my Obi100 to a Netgear WNDR4500. Since I upgraded, I have found the the telephone led on the Obi will go out every now and then. I thought it had something to do with the SIP ALG setting in the router, so I disabled that, but it is still going on. I have opened ports to the Obi unit in the settings of the router, but that apparently doesn't do any good either. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the Obi unit to be connected to my Google Voice account ALL the time? I hate having to look at it to make sure the led is lit. If someone can give me some clues on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Emagin

I have a WNDR4500 (or N900) with Obi202 and GVoice
Same issues.
I set the port that the Obi is on to be in the DMZ

http://www.routerlogin.net/WAN_wan.htm
Default DMZ Server  =  IP Address of your Obi device (.103 in my case)
This seemed to work for me.
What i'm concerned about is that the N900 is set up to serve DHCP addresses, so I don't know if the Obi will always be on 103.
The frustrating thing is that in most other routers I've used I can select the physical hardware ethernet port on the back as the DMZ (Port 1, 2, 3, etc.) 

Quote from: steveken on January 13, 2013, 12:39:01 PM
\Netgear WNDR4500. Since I upgraded, I have found the the telephone led on the Obi will go out every now and then
---
Obi-202

steveken

You can assign the IP address for the Obi to always be the same. I am not at home right now, so I can't tell you where it is. I can say that if you found the DMZ part, you should be able to find that pretty easy. It's in the advanced screens. It's pretty easy to see and figure out.

As far as putting the DMZ on a particular port on the back of the router, I personally have never seen this. On all consumer routers I have seen, it is always assigned to a specific address. That is why you can add a specific device a specific IP address. I would not want to only have the option to tie the DMZ to a specific port. What if I had another switch attached to the router (like I currently have)? If I put a hardware port as DMZ, I would have to choose one that is only that device. That is not very convenient to me. It removes a lot of flexibility.

Anyway, I was kinda hoping an Obi employee would see this and address this issue for us. They would be the ones to answer it as far as I can tell.   

Rick

Quote from: steveken on January 16, 2013, 12:08:08 PMAnyway, I was kinda hoping an Obi employee would see this and address this issue for us. They would be the ones to answer it as far as I can tell.   

Put in a support ticket.  This is a customer to customer forum.

steveken

I look at it as if it is on their website, they advertise it in some way on that website, then they should monitor the forums and help where help is needed.

lhm.

Occasionally they do, but it's rare.