News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

no sound on incoming calls

Started by btid, January 14, 2013, 04:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btid

For some reason, I'm not getting any sound on incoming calls. The connection is good and the caller can hear me just fine, but I can't hear them. I've tried multiple phones with the same results. I reset the device which fixes the problem for a while but then reverts back to same problem. Problem is the same regardless of service providers. Wondering if I have a faulty device?

lk96

Can you take a snapshop of the information found under "call status"?
You can just obtain this by pointing your browser to the Obi IP address, and
clikcing on "call status" on the top left side of the screen.

I have intermittently seen this in my case (over the past 2 years of usage of multiple
Obis) and I haven't been able to fully resolve. However,
couple thing that really helped though in my case:

+ I configured the Obi with a static IP address, and not using DHCP.
To avoid the possibility for my router to hand out the same IP address to another device
in the home network, I "reserved" the IP address I gave to the Obi based on its MAC address
on the router as well.

+ I setup explicitly port forwarding rules in my firewall/nat router so that the client SIP ports
mapped to my obi, get delivered to the right device (I hit this problem actually when I turned on
2 obis in the same network and forgot to reassign the SIP address and as a result the wrong SIP
request was delivered to the wrong obi). In any case, even if you only have a single Obi, it doesn't
hurt to do this: its a good defensive approach.

My guess would be that there is conflict in IP address assignment within your home network after a while. And as such the firewall may or may not be able to send incoming traffic to the right device.
The fact that you say that it works for a while and then it exhibits the behavior you describe,
kind of points to this as a cause.

L.

PS. Notice that I said earlier I haven't been able to fully resolve this. What happens some times,
is that a call seems to be established properly, the remote side hears me, I don't hear anything,
and when I check the "call status" it shows that the remote end IP address for the call is
set to 0.0.0.0. Some times the only way I could restore proper functionality was to reboot the obi.
But the problem is so infrequent that I can't even file a bug with Obihai given that it cannot
be reproduced at will.

btid

Thanks so much for your help. I set the static IP and reserved it on my router. Worked at first, then stopped. I checked to make sure there is no IP conflict, then set the port forwarding rules as suggested. That seems to work much better. I will post 3 snapshots of the call status below. Call 1 & 2 show inbound and outbound calls working properly. Call 3 shows inbound with no sound to the phone, but the sound works fine on the remote side. Would value your opinion.

Thanks again for your help!

B.

btid

sorry, the snapshots won't send. The files are too big, even sending 1 at a time. Would be happy to share specific info though...

lk96

Did you also set up Static IP on the Obi side, right ?

what kind of voice services are you experiencing problems with? SIP? GV ?

regarding the screenshots: you can probably resize them with some photo application.
Or you can upload it to some service like google drive, dropbox etc.

L.

lhm.

"Switching your OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot"

Hope it helps,
pc44

btid

L,

Yes, I did set the static ip on the obi device and I'm using sip. I had another look at my router and noticed a spot to bypass the router altogether using the static ip. They recommend against it because then there's no protection for the device, but I figure there's nothing to protect anyway? So I tried the bypass and now everything is working great. Sound is stronger with almost no delays. Is there any danger to bypassing?

Thanks again,

pc44,

I will try your suggestion to switch to 100 mb/s full duplex.

thanks,

B

Ostracus

lk96

yes, must be DMZ.

About risk: the question is your tolerance. In theory, someone may hijack
your Obi and use it to make "free" calls for him/herself. There is always
the risk for someone trying to vandalize it. And for sure there is also increased
risk for DoS attacks. 

On the other hand: a functioning Obi is more useful than a non functioning one.

My suggestions are twofold:
1. Since you determined that its your NAT/firewall that was causing the issue, try
to troubleshoot it.

2. Make sure that you use a strong password for the admin user of the Obi.