News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Recent Changes

Started by mikewis, January 24, 2013, 07:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikewis

I noticed I had VM but it wasn't giving me the stutter tone so I missed some messages.  I see there was a firmware update and did the ***6 and it updated the phone.  It sees now when I call my own number it asks for my pin.  It didn't do that before and I made no changes on the GV panel.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Did Google change something?

Thanks
Mike

hwittenb

Quote from: mikewis on January 24, 2013, 07:46:07 AM
It sees now when I call my own number it asks for my pin.  It didn't do that before and I made no changes on the GV panel.  Anyone else experiencing this?
That is a setting under Google Voice ....

Go to GV web page, click on "Your Number" then under your Forwarded Number click on "Edit" then Show advanced settings.

Rick

Why don't you set your GV account to email you the voicemails?  That way you won't miss them even if not at home.

mikewis

I talked to OBIHAI tech support and they said Google Changed Something and I have to use the Pin for now until they can get it fixed.  They also upgraded my OBI to get  the stutter tone back.

-Mike

Rick

Quote from: mikewis on January 24, 2013, 09:57:32 AM
I talked to OBIHAI tech support and they said Google Changed Something and I have to use the Pin for now until they can get it fixed.  They also upgraded my OBI to get  the stutter tone back.

-Mike

Which reinforces the point that I and others have made in the past - Google and OBi aren't in communication.  The OBi works with GV because the OBi engineers figured out how to make it work.  Google can, and will, change GV as they sit fit without notifying OBi at all, and OBi has to then scurry and figure out a fix.

From my perspective, that means that an OBi is not the correct solution for people that rely on their phones and have no backup, or have no ability to understand how to change some of the settings when needed.  It's a solution for those with some technical savvy, those of us that accept that occasional reboots and tweaks are required.  I would never put one in my mother's house for example. 

carl

@ Rick.
I actually put one in my mother's house ( those 7 months a year when she does not live in my place) and it works surprisingly well, she gets the Obi 100 which is very resilient and has less issues than my 202. She has next to GV Localphone as SIP provider and can also use it from her cell with one number   free calling circle number whenever she is on the road or should the system go down. true, she would not be able to set it up and maintain on her own but with my supervision and minimal knowledge it works just fine.  My neighbors who have ATT u verse phone service were without phone for 4 days now , so the 'better' providers are not all that better and the classic POTS is on the way out.

MikeHObi

I noticed as well, that GV now asks for the pin for VM.

Tried various settings in GV to not require pin, but no joy.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Rick

Simply program your pin into the dialing from the phone.

CoalMinerRetired

giqcass

It's a good thing that they require a pin.  It's basic phone hacking 101. Teenagers do this stuff for fun.
Long live our new ObiLords!

MikeHObi

If anything, the issue can be that google changes stuff and doesn't tell anyone they did it.  So you never know if it's a new bug, or a new feature.  The irritating part is they have my e-mail address.  Just create a form letter telling us they changed something and send on the e-mail.

Obihai could do that as well.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

lhm.

PIN is no longer required. At least for today.   :D

Edit: Interesting part is that when calling my GV # with caller id spoofed (GV #) through Voip.ms I get dead air/silence, no ringing. So I guess I am safe from the 101 hackers.