News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Poor audio quality on incoming 'landline' calls

Started by PCLarry, January 27, 2013, 08:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCLarry

Our primary use of this device, is to reduce long distance telephone charges on our land-line.
NOTE: we DO NOT use GoogleVoice for messaging (at this time).

***We get a severe echo/feedback of our own voice upon receiving a call from our landline number when picked up at the OBi110 phone.

The echo/feedback DOES NOT OCCUR when the GoogleVoice number is dialed by the caller.
In fact, the call quality is good.

So, to clarify:

1. All OUTGOING calls from any phone - Quality GOOD
2. INCOMING calls received by 'Land-line only' phone(not connected to the OBi110) - Quality GOOD
3. INCOMING calls received by the OBi110 when the GoogleVoice number is dialed - Quality GOOD
4. INCOMING calls received by the OBi110 when the Land-line number is dialed - Quality VERY BAD (severe echo/feedback)

What we tried so far:
1. I deleted the device from the OBi 'dashboard', did a 'factory reset' of the OBi110,  and re-created/reconnected it to the 'dashboard'.
2. Tried three different phones on the OBi110.
3. Set the OBi110 to Full Duplex mode.
4. Tried minor adjustments to the 'LINE' TX in the advanced settings (down to -5)
NOTE: this will reduce the echo/feedback of my voice, however you cannot have a conversation unless both parties are yelling into each phone so we returned that setting to zero.
Lastly, there is no problem with the land-line itself, or any of the phones used (had the phone company over to test everything, to assist with diagnosis)

We submitted a request to the OBi support team, and their response was to post my question to the forum..!!??**##??!!.....

*Final note: I have been reading thru the forum, and have found several posts that referred to an impedance issue being the cause of similar complaints.
Does anyone know the proper impedance settings for Verizon in the United States of America?

There, you have it.

Hope this information helps some of you OBi-Wizards out in OBi-Land to understand this perplexing issue.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peace All

Rick

I don't know why you started a new thread vs. continuing your old one, which had all the troubleshooting back and forth on it.  I note that you didn't reply to my last suggestions, one of which was to plug the OBi into a different wall jack for the landline feed.

I'd also suggest you ensure that the OBi is not next to its A/C adapter, and neither is the phone that you're plugging into the OBi, nor it's A/C adapter if it has one.

PCLarry

Thank you for your response, Rick.

I not only moved the suggested technology, I also took the extra step of moving the OBi device itself to another physical location to eliminate any possibility of interference.

To address your question:
After reading the various responses from my prior post, I came to the conclusion that either no one was actually reading my description of the problem, or that I did not explain the problem well enough for others to understand.

Assuming the burden was mine, I selected to start a fresh post and provide a logical progression of information that would be easy to follow, and hope for some more pointed suggestions.

As to your suggestion, have you run into a particular EM, or RF frequency that you feel would specifically target the circuitry associated with incoming land-line (not googlevoice) calls?

I'm always willing to try anything, because you know what Mr. Holmes said about "eliminating the impossible"

Thanks again for your input.

NOTE: I just discovered a new firmware that I will apply ASAP, and will provide feedback if it improves the call quality problem discussed here.

Peace All

PCLarry

The latest firmware seems to have resolved the land-line feedback issue.

However, now the voice volume for the caller, and myself is very low.
I'll make some adjustments to the Line TX settings to see if I can bring the volume up a bit.

Thanks to everyone who participated and provided input.

We can consider this topic closed.

Peace All