News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice now requires PIN for voicemail?

Started by dhobi, January 29, 2013, 12:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhobi

What happened? All of a sudden Google Voice requires me to enter my PIN when calling my GV voicemail from my OBI device, even though the setting in my account for Google Chat is "PIN not required (for added convenience)"

Rick

Yup.  Old news.  Google change. Program phone to dial it.

dhobi

Is this a permanent change from GV or just a temporary bug?

Rick

Google made a change to cover a security gap and require pin.  Quite simple.

dhobi

Quote from: Rick on January 29, 2013, 07:31:28 PM
Google made a change to cover a security gap and require pin.  Quite simple.

What's the security gap? The option is still there in the GV settings to require a PIN or not for Google Chat. I could see making it the default to require a PIN, but setting it to not require a PIN doesn't have any effect. So there's a bug somewhere, either they should remove the option from the preferences or make it work once again.

RFord

Quote from: dhobi on January 29, 2013, 07:33:48 PM
So there's a bug somewhere, either they should remove the option from the preferences or make it work once again.

Huh?  How much are you paying Google every month again?  I think you should only make demands for services you are actually paying for, otherwise, please select from the vast array of (paid) VOIP providers.  If you can't live without this minor inconvenience, you are welcome to drop Google a letter/email demanding that they return the system to its former working condition.

Rick

Google now requires a PIN.  Period.  They don't explain themselves, they just do things.

Simply program your home number into your phone, insert two pauses after the number, then your pin.  When you call you'll automatically get connected.  Very simple.

For those that don't know how to insert a pause into the dialing of your phone, check your manual.  Often it's as simple as finding the pause key on your phone and sometimes holding it for 3 seconds.  You need about 6 seconds of pause, 3 won't do it. 

dhobi

Quote from: RFord on January 30, 2013, 12:17:12 AM
Quote from: dhobi on January 29, 2013, 07:33:48 PM
So there's a bug somewhere, either they should remove the option from the preferences or make it work once again.

Huh?  How much are you paying Google every month again?  I think you should only make demands for services you are actually paying for, otherwise, please select from the vast array of (paid) VOIP providers.  If you can't live without this minor inconvenience, you are welcome to drop Google a letter/email demanding that they return the system to its former working condition.

Wow! Chill man ... There was no demand anywhere. There's plenty of free software out there and the developers are happy to take bug reports. Not sure why you think Google would be offended by a bug report and in particular why you are offended by me asking whether this is a bug or permanent change. The fact remains, something doesn't work as advertised per the GV preferences I can set in the web interface.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Felix

Quote from: dhobi on January 30, 2013, 08:05:51 AM
Not sure why you think Google would be offended by a bug report and in particular why you are offended by me asking whether this is a bug or permanent change. The fact remains, something doesn't work as advertised per the GV preferences I can set in the web interface.
I already did...
https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/msg/voice/-/_isjL_qoy14J