News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

WIFI Adapter not connecting?

Started by TerriP, January 29, 2013, 09:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerriP

I have the OBI202 and Wifi Adapter. 

Set up the OBI202 with the ethernet cable successfully but when I try the WIFI adapter, it won't connect.   I tried it with the device nearby, so distance isn't an issue.
Our router is a 2Wire Gateway -
it uses WPA security and I have no problem connecting other wifi enabled devices on this router (printer, laptops, etc.) so I assume the filters are off.    Again the OBI202 works great connected with wired ethernet cable - but when I plug in the adapter and disconnect the cable, it does not connect so it doesn't work at all... green light just blinks. 

Any suggestions?

TerriP

I have tried "everything" to get this wifi adapter to pull an IP. no go. I even left overnight since some posts said mysteriously it worked after leaving it for hours. Still blinking green with the wifi adapter & Lan plugged into my laptop computer & regular wifi connection on laptop disabled. On my laptop I get "Unidentified Network no network access" when the ethernet is plugged in.   I've been trying this for days.  And I've opened a support ticket and I'm still at square one with them as well. They've only re-instructed me to do what their brochure says.

I get "the webpage is not available" .... The server at www.obiconnect.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. etc etc.

I have windows 7, google chrome (also tried with IE), rebooted numerous times, OBI202, Router=2Wire Gateway from AT&T with WPA security and alphanumeric key. I'm 2 feet from the router. I have other wifi devices on the network with no issues.

How do I get this ding dang dongle to work?   perhaps there is a way to set up this thing to work in the expert configuration ? 

I think it is quite obvious this wifi dongle is not ready for prime time. 

Lavarock7

I don't know much about Wifi but I know there are at least 2 bands in use. Some of my devices here at home connect to one band while the other connect to either.

The two bands are 2.5 ghz and the other 5 ghz

Obi says:

"OBiWiFi supports the 802.11n and 802.11b/g wireless standards and operates in the 2.4GHz band. "

So if your router only supports 5ghz, it won't connect.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

TerriP

Thank you for that tidbit. 
To confirm I have the 802.11b/g router - I am assuming since it is not an N router, that it is 2.4GHz though I'm not really sure how to confirm that?

I have tried to connect with a different ethernet cable - received the same results, so it isn't the cable.  I have also tried with a different laptop and received the same results, so it isn't the port.

Any other suggestions?

TerriP

I should mention that I've double checked that the firmware is up to the lastest version - ***6 says "software update not available" I assume that means i have the latest version?

and double checked to make sure the local area connection has DHCP enabled, as far as I can tell it does on both IPv4 & IPv6.  

Still no wifi connection.

Tried going into the expert config but no matter what boxes I check or uncheck, the values are not available to edit?

TerriP

Rick

I suggest you fill out an OBi support request.

TerriP

I have a support ticket going for a number of days, I thought perhaps I would try this route in case i was missing something?

We've been able to ascertain that I am not receiving an IP address when my computer is connected to the LAN port of the OBI Device.  That is as far I have gotten with support to date. 

TerriP

Bizarre -
Talked with tech support and got it working.
Here's what they had me do.... disconnect the wired as I had that set up  successfully, then connect the ethernet to the computer and obi lan add power to the obi ... what for green lights, then go to http://192.168.10.1 voila it worked.  I can tell you I tried this oodles of times for a week without success... same ethernet cord and everything. 

The only difference is that I didn't plug in the phone base until everything else was up ... and connected.  I have no clue if that is what did it... but that is the ONLY difference. 

Once I could see the webpage at the above addy, then I added /wifi and voila networks popped up, selected my network entered my network password - then I plugged int he cordless phone base that is connected to the obi.

OMG.