News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does my Landline # become long distance for incoming callers?

Started by ricklawpsu, February 14, 2013, 06:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricklawpsu

Once I port my longtime landline # to Google Voice, is there any risk of the # being considered long distance for incoming calls? Or, does it stay a local # ??

Obviously, someone who does not have long distance service would not be able to call me if my number was no longer local.

Thanks

lhm.

There will be no change in status for inbound calls from/for others.

ricklawpsu

Felix

With cell and VoIP considering all of US local area - is there still such thing as long distance  ???

infin8loop

Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area there are "metro numbers" that can make and receive calls
between area codes in the two cities with no long distance charges. I'm not sure what would happened to the status of the free inbound calls from the "other city's area codes" placed through traditional phone service providers (aka AT&T, etc) if a metro number is ported to a voip provider.   
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

CoalMinerRetired

^ This still applies, the local telco CO (central office) from which the landline originated when it was born as a landline will be forever associated with the ported number:

Quote from: lhm. on February 14, 2013, 06:54:19 AM
There will be no change in status for inbound calls from/for others.