News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Waiting with GV

Started by BoomerM3, February 25, 2013, 01:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoomerM3

I am using an Obi-100 with Google voice - working well.

If I am using the phone and get another call, the second caller gets the GV message - not a busy signal. I have 'disabled' call waiting (*57) - I think. I do not want call waiting.

Does *57 work with GV? How do I avoid the GV message?

peter

Rick

If you mean they get your Google Voice voicemail, allowing them to leave a message since you're on the phone, that's what is supposed to happen.

BoomerM3

I don't want a message left. If call waiting is disabled, my expectation is that the caller will get a busy signal and can call back later.

Is this an old-fashioned concept? What is the point of call waiting - disable?

RFord

Quote from: BoomerM3 on February 25, 2013, 04:18:48 PM
Is this an old-fashioned concept? What is the point of call waiting - disable?

Please bear in mind that the use of GV on the OBi110 is an unofficial supported product that is not sanction by Google.  Google Voice was not design to be used as a telephone system per se.  The Obi ATA are designed as a generic ATA to be used by SIP among other things.  GV has two channels and if one is in used and another calls comes in on the other channel and is not answered it will go to GV Voicemail.  This has nothing to do with the OBi ATA.  I think the call waiting feature works as advertise and the second incoming calls does not ring your phone or presents any type of call waiting tones.

I'm curious though as to why you do not want the second call to go to voice mail?  Why is this so critical to you that the second caller gets a busy signal?  This is a weird scenario if you ask me.....

giqcass

Yes,  I think this is an old fashioned concept.  I'm interested to know what you plan to gain by presenting a busy signal as well.  I can suggest a couple of options.

Option 1:
If you don't want anyone to leave a voice mail then replace your Google voice mail message with a busy signal.  This will trick them into thinking they reached a busy phone.  If they stay on the line long enough they could still leave a message but most people will hang up immediately when they hear the busy signal.

Option 2:
If it must be just when you are on the phone maybe you could replace the main OBi auto attendant recording with a busy signal.  Then set Call Forward On Busy to forward calls to Auto Attendant.  That will give them a busy signal and no ability to leave a message.
Long live our new ObiLords!