News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Rings but no voice received or transmitted

Started by Jim000111, March 03, 2013, 04:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim000111

I have an OBi202.  I have been able to set up the device to work with Google Voice and one SIP service.  Everything works perfectly.  However, I have not been successful with ClaroLite service.  The attached phone will ring but I cannot hear the other party and the other party is not able to hear me.  The OBi202 is attached to a Cisco Router and the SIP ALG is disabled. I have setup the ClaroLite softphone on my computer which receives the signal through the Cisco Router and it works fine.  I have also set up X-Lite Softphone on my computer, which also receives the signal through the Cisco Routere and it works fine.  As far as I can ascertain, the only problem is with the OBi202.

I hope someone will be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Jim000111

Thank you for your suggestion. I need to do some research to understand how to set up a STUN.

In the interim, I have tried some other solutions.  I added an entry into the URI blank and the system worked for one call.  The phone rang, I could hear the other party and the other party could hear me.  Unfortunately, it did not work for a second call - again the telephone rang correctly, but I could not hear the other party and the other party could not hear me.  So then I tried a Grandstream HandyTone 286 and configured it according to instructions from ClaroLite.  I configured it to select G729 and it worked fine.  It was also connected to the same Cisco router and there were no problems.  I then decided I would change the priority settings on the Obi202 for Codec.  I changed the CODEC B settings to change the priority of G729 to number one and everything worked for one phone call.  The second phone call had the same problems as before.  So I decided to disable the other CODEC's except G729 and again everything worked for one phone call.  The second phone call had the same problem.  The Grandstream HandyTone 286, the ClaroLite SoftPhone and the X-Lite SoftPhone all continue to work for numerous phone calls.  However, the OBi202 only works for one phone call and then has the same problem for successive calls.  I think that it is clear that it is a problem with the OBi202.  But I have not figured out how to solve the problem.

Do you think that the STUN will work?  Is there a chance the the STUN will affect the Google Voice and other SIP that I have working?

Regards,

Jim

QBZappy

STUN will help push the voice part of the call automatically between the callers. It can't hurt.

ITSP Profile A/B
    General
STUNEnable = checkmark
STUNServer = pick one from here ( http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/STUN )
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Jim000111

Thanks again for your further suggestions.  I went into the ITSP Profile C because that is the Profile that I believe is connected to the SIP account that has the problems.

I enabled the STUNEnable by providing a checkmark and then selected "stun.sipgate.net" for the server. Submitted the settings and tried a phone call.  Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.  I tried 2 different servers listed under the "Public STUN servers" but none solved the problem.

Hopefully, I understood all of the necessary steps.  If I made a mistake or missed a step, please advise.

Regards,

Jim

Jim000111

Final Summary

Attempt to connect ClaroLite SIP Account to Obi202.

I was able to have the telephone connected to Obi202 ring, but not able to consistently receive or transmit voice.  When I made changes to OBiTalk, for example changing priority of CODEC's, it would work for one call and then have same problem with subsequent calls.

OBiTalk was connected to Cisco Linksys E 3200 router directly with ethernet cable.

Grandstream Handytone 286 worked without any problem when connected to same router.

ClaroLite Softphone and X-Lite Softphone both worked when connected to same router.

Attempted changes to URI, Codec priorities but worked only temporarily.
Setup STUN, but that did not work.

Conclusion:  Problem not solved.  Problem is with OBi202.  As I do not have any further ideas as to how to solve problem, I will need to utilize a different ATA.

ianobi

Jim,

Are the OBi202's ITSP Profile C RTP ports forwarded in your Cisco router? The Obihai FAQ page still thinks there are only ITSP Profile A and ITSP Profile B when advising on port forwarding. If you can put the OBi202 IP address into DMZ mode in your Cisco router, then that would be a good test, as then all ports are forwarded.

Jim000111

Thank you for the suggestion.  I appreciate you talking the time.  I changed the DMZ settings in the CISCO router to include the IP address of the OBi202.  Unfortunately, it did not make any difference.  I also tried forwarding only the ports included in the RTP for ITSP Profile C, but that did not make any difference.

It is a mystery to me, especially when I can make it work for one call only after changing certain parameters in OBiTalk and then it fails for all subsequent calls.