News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Conference call using Google Voice

Started by cj4331, March 03, 2013, 06:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj4331

I don't know that I plan to use it but I'm curious if OBi allows conference calls or if that's a functions of Google Voice.  I see a check box in GV "Enable recording (4), Switch (*), and conference options on incoming calls."  I also see a checkbox in the OBi setup for "Conference call enable".

So, the GV options seem related only to incoming calls, is that true?

I don't see any instructions on how to make a call to someone and then conference in a third person.  Can this be done?  How?

I've heard there are problems with GV interpreting conversation with the tone to start recording etc so I hate to turn that on.

CoalMinerRetired

> So, the GV options seem related only to incoming calls, is that true?
Yes, I think.

> I don't see any instructions on how to make a call to someone and then conference in a third person.  Can this be done?  How?
Yes. Use Hook Flash. Per the admin manual: Conference Call,  if enabled, is initiated by the user by hook flashing the phone in one of the following scenarios:
- One call on hold while a 2nd outgoing call ringing
- One call on hold while a 2nd outgoing call connected.
We refer to case (1) as an early conference, where the second conferencee is still ringing; the other 2 parties may converse while hearing ringback tone in the background until the 3 party answers. In either case, the user can end the call with the second conferencee by hook flashing another time and the call reverts to a 2-way call.

I've tried it both ways, and it does work. I use it infrequently the details are fuzzy. I do know I've made three-way conf. calls when the first person called me, and I called the third person and 'conferenced him in.'  And I've done it when two other parties called me. In hindsight I believe the first case (I called the third person) was a function of the Obi and not GV. 

For the case when multiple people call you it's all GV, and it does work very smoothly especially if you're used to corporate conference calling where everyone dials into a predefined number and waits for 'the leader' to join, and in many cases the call has to be scheduled in same way. I should use the GV feature more often but I forget it's there.

Coincidently, I have a current question asking if Call Waiting (and hook flashing) is currently working correctly with CallCentric, here, I'm currently getting one way audio via CC but not via GV.

cj4331

Thanks for the info.  Hook flashing is how I've done it with other phone service in the past--but I think that was the only time and that was about a year ago.  Thanks again for the help.  Oh, for what it's worth I don't know anything about CallCentric.  Hopefully someone else will answer your question.  So far I've been pleased with the call quality and functions of everything.  Once I heard an echo of myself saying hello when I answered a call but then no more echo at all.  At some point I'm going to try to set up to redirect 911 to a 7 digit number or get some sort of E911, but I'll wait a bit.