News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I thought it be easy setup - help please

Started by ddavid1, March 12, 2013, 07:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddavid1

My Obi110 arrived today, and spending 8 hr I'm so frustrated, so I someone can help me.
(1) 1st I need to know if I have a defective Obi since the 2 lights (both Phone & Line In) Lights are solid OFF
The Line in is naturally off because there nothing connected to it.
But the Phone Light stays black until I pick the receiver, and blinks.
I thought they would be solid green according to the paperwork.

II:
I can call out to Obi **9 222 222 222 and heard the echo of my words.
But I cannot call out to the Google Voice Number.  Only a recording is heard, the subscriber is NOT available.

When I added my Obi to Obi talk I received a Notice "Google voice is "backing Off"  which refers to a connection status which doesn't sound good.  And I can't call the Google number on a third party phone.

III:
If someone has a customer support number it be wonderful, but can't find one on Google. Thanks

Shale

II.
Did you follow the information in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0 ?

Did you you make that initial call with Google voice without using the OBI?

Did you use OBiTalk to set up your OB110?

Felix

Quote from: ddavid1 on March 12, 2013, 07:11:43 PM
(1) 1st I need to know if I have a defective Obi since the 2 lights (both Phone & Line In) Lights are solid OFF
The Line in is naturally off because there nothing connected to it.
But the Phone Light stays black until I pick the receiver, and blinks.
Yes, that's how it's supposed to be. Phone light shows if the phone is off-hook. There are two other lights - Power and Ethernet that show if you are fine. Since you can make a call to Obi, your device is all set. Now set up Google Voice and / or SIP provider - and you are good to go!

Quote from: ddavid1 on March 12, 2013, 07:11:43 PM
But I cannot call out to the Google Voice Number.  Only a recording is heard, the subscriber is NOT available.
What do you mean? Have you set up GV? On the portal or on the device? You do need an account - OBi is just a device; for most part, it's not a service! Please be specific... Actually, I take that back. follow the instructions in the link, and there is a high chance that it will work!

There is a subforum "New to Obi" where you can find a lot of helpful information. The bottom line, it should take less than an hour to set up a device and start making calls. If it takes you an hour (let alone 8... well, I assume that 8 hours is a slight exaggeration ;) ) then you are doing something wrong.

It is easy setup! Good luck!

ddavid1

Yes I did make the initial call to google without the obi110, and they issued me a number.
Yes I used obiTalk to set-up.  And that is where I received the "Google backing off" <<< I believe that is where the problem lies.
Thank you for the link to the forum.
I wish I could get back to obitalk setup, to start anew,
and to google/voice to start anew.

Rick

Quote from: ddavid1 on March 13, 2013, 04:43:07 AM
Yes I did make the initial call to google without the obi110, and they issued me a number.
Yes I used obiTalk to set-up.  And that is where I received the "Google backing off" <<< I believe that is where the problem lies.
Thank you for the link to the forum.
I wish I could get back to obitalk setup, to start anew,
and to google/voice to start anew.

Getting a GV number has nothing to do with the initial call you make.

"Backing Off" is usually due to an incorrect Google password being entered.  Make sure you're typing the same password that you do to log into your GV account.

If you setup GV to forward to your cell phone (or another phone), you can verify that the GV number can receive calls just fine.

ddavid1

Well I messed around with this enough, that now ObeiTalk shows connected (The Backing off disappeared.) but now I have a new problem.  Whomever I dial I get a busy signal, actual the Dial Tone
never stops, even when dialing.  (The dial tone is suppose to go silent the second one enters the 1st number, but it doesn't).

I've also retraced  setup several times, that's how I got rid of the "Backing Off" but then then the dial tone issue appeared. I did  replace the phone itself with several spare ones I have to be sure it wasn't the phone itself. But to no avail.   

Shale

Is your phone plugged into the Phone jack and not the Line jack?