News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to Power Up all my phone jacks

Started by Bill_A, March 13, 2013, 09:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_A

Hi, my Obi 2 line unit is up and running great. Trying to power up the hard wired jacks in my house by connecting a phone cable between the Obi unit and an open wall jack.

But that doesn't seem to produce a dial tone at other phones, even using line 1, which works great when directly connected to a phone.

Am I missing a step?

Shale

Your OBi202 has 5 green LEDs along the edge. The right 2 (as you face the box) are Phone 1 and Phone 2.

With no off-hook phones connected to the phone inputs, the lines will be solid green. Do they change when you hook up to the wall jack? If so, the phone line you are connected to is probably shorted.

Otherwise leaving your Obi connected to the wall, use a voltmeter to measure voltage at the jacks. You should see roughly 50 volts DC between pairs if your wires have continuity. Trace to see where you lose the voltage.

Line 1 appears as the inner pair on the Phone 1 port. Line 2 is on the pair outside of the inner pair on the Phone 1 jack as well as on the inner pair of the Phone 2 jack.

Rick

Have you disconnected the POTS service that was connected from the wall jack, ensuring that there is no dial tone present at the wall jack, BEFORE connecting the OBi?