News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing via Google Voice works great, but phone doesn't ring

Started by delonasn, March 13, 2013, 02:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delonasn

I've read the faq and did everything it said, but no matter what I try, I don't get incoming calls.  Still worth it for outgoing, but it'd be nice to receive a call too.  Any suggestions?

--Nick

giqcass

The first thing to double check is that in your Google Voice settings you have forwarding to Google chat checked.
Long live our new ObiLords!

dircom

you did not mention.  Have you checked the ringer on the phone?

delonasn

Quote from: giqcass on March 13, 2013, 03:44:21 PM
The first thing to double check is that in your Google Voice settings you have forwarding to Google chat checked.

Yes.  It is checked.

delonasn

Quote from: dircom on March 13, 2013, 04:24:33 PM
you did not mention.  Have you checked the ringer on the phone?

I thought of that, but can't think of any way to check if it's working short of taking it to someone else's house, which I suppose I can do.

What I did try is calling from my cell phone and then, though my phone wasn't ringing, I picked up to see if I could answer anyway.  I had a dial tone.

No trouble dialing out though. 

Rick

If you have an OBi 110, ensure you plug the phone into the PHONE port, not the LINE port.

delonasn

Quote from: Rick on March 14, 2013, 04:27:12 AM
If you have an OBi 110, ensure you plug the phone into the PHONE port, not the LINE port.

Only one port.  Shucks.  This is frustrating.

dircom

CHeck your phone first, Then if your phone works ok
Post some relevant info, like I have an OBI 100, 110 etc

Shale

Quote from: delonasn on March 14, 2013, 06:10:14 PM

Are you saying "Thanks Rick, that was the problem", or are you saying you have an OBi100?

delonasn

Quote from: Shale on March 14, 2013, 06:19:57 PM
Quote from: delonasn on March 14, 2013, 06:10:14 PM

Are you saying "Thanks Rick, that was the problem", or are you saying you have an OBi100?

I have an OBi100.  There's only one port where you can plug in a phone.

This weekend I'll figure out some way to test the phone itself.

I do wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I did the verification and all that with gMail using that phone.

I appreciate your help.  Will get back to you after I've test the phone this weekend.

giqcass

When you call someone does your Google Voice number show up on their caller ID or does this number show up?
(760) 705-8888
Long live our new ObiLords!

delonasn

Quote from: giqcass on March 14, 2013, 07:37:33 PM
When you call someone does your Google Voice number show up on their caller ID or does this number show up?
(760) 705-8888

It's my Google Voice number alright.  I also tested with an alternate phone.  Does not ring.

Could it be because I never used gMail before I got this device?  I signed up for gMail only so I could use this device.  Furthermore, I know that at least some of my google apps are associated with an email other than my gMail address.  I wonder if that could be the problem.