News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dail plan

Started by cj4331, March 15, 2013, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj4331

I've been looking for tutorials but everyone seems to go overboard on all that can be done.  I'd just like to begin by understanding the basics.  Here is what is in mine before any tinkering.
(*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1336>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

Here are my assumptions--please correct me if I'm wrong:
1.  () must surround the dial plan
2.  | separates the different strings that can be matched
3.  X represent any digit, * represents * and  I assume # would represent #
4.  <>   must surround digits to be added when this string is matched
5.  X. represent any length string of digits or no digits at all
6.  []  surrounds a series of valid digits for this digit for example [2-9] means 1 digit that can be any number 2 through 9
So:
*xx
this is * followed by any two digits and would be used to accept things like *69 to return the last call received
1xxxxxxxxxx
is to dial a phone number using the old school 1 for long distance then area code then number
<1336>[2-9]xxxxxx
this takes any 7 digits starting with a 2 through 9 and dials 1336 then those digits for customary 7 digit local dialing
<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx
this takes any 10 digits starting with 2 through 9 and dials 1 then those digits for modern 10 digit dialing
011xx.
any string of digits 4 or longer starting with 011 for international calling
xx.
any length string of digits at least 1 long
(Mipd)
no clue what this does
[^*]@@.
no clue what this does

So when entering a number when does OBi decide to see if it matches a dial plan and call the number?  I mean with xx. in my dial plan it would seem as soon as I enter 2 digits it'd try to dial them.

ianobi

That's got to be worth a 9 out of 10, mostly spot on  :)

Be a bit careful about upper and lower cases. "X" is not quite the same as "x". "x" is as you describe.

(Mipd) is a User Defined DigitMap that allows you to dial ip addresses direct from a telephone keypad.

[^*]@@. allows you to use SIP URI formats (anything@anywhere.com) in speed dials etc.

QuoteSo when entering a number when does OBi decide to see if it matches a dial plan and call the number?  I mean with xx. in my dial plan it would seem as soon as I enter 2 digits it'd try to dial them.

This is harder to explain. It is to do with what state a number is in after each digit is dialled. It can be in the following states:

Partially Matched (PM)
Exactly Matched (EM)
Indefinitely Matched (IM)
Mismatched (MM)

The point of the dial plan is to try to achieve an EM state, which means the call is sent out with no delay. Because xx. matches everything, it results in numbers mostly being in the IM state which leads to a two second delay in sending the call out. I'm well known in this forum for being very boring on this subject   ;)   so I'll say no more for now. Read the ObiDeviceAdminGuide around page 185 for more info.

Feel free to come back with any questions.

azrobert

Your description of <> is correct, but it can also remove digits.
<1:>xxxx  removes a leading "1".
<1:2>xxxx replaces a leading "1" with "2".

It's important to understand the process. Here is what happens after a number is dialed.

- The Phone DigitMap validates the number dialed.
  If the number is validated it's passed to the Phone OutboundCallRoute.

- The Phone OutboundCallRoute determines the trunk and makes the call.

Notice there is no mention of the trunk DigitMaps. The trunk DigitMaps do nothing by themselves. They are only relevant when referred to by the Phone DigitMap or Phone OutboundCallRoute.

The default Phone DigitMap contains (Mpli). This points to the Primary Line's DigitMap, so if your Phone Primay Line is SP1 (Mpli) will point to the SP1 DigitMap. There is no reference to the SP2 DigitMap and it will be ignored. If you want to include the SP2 DigitMap in the validation process you must add (Msp2) to the Phone DigitMap.

I hope my explanation wasn't confusing.

Edit:
What I said above isn't 100% accurate.
The default Phone DigitMap does contain **2(Msp2).
This will match **2 followed by anything in the SP2 DigitMap

cj4331

Thank you Ianobi the Admin Guide was a help starting on about page 180.  I had looked at it before but didn't find that info then.

Also thanks to Azrobert for the extra info.

I'm signing up for GV911 and they asked me to change my dial plan to:
(<911:their number>S0|<922:their number>S0|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|
011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)
But a quick look suggested replacing mine with this one while allowing 911 would stop allowing me to dial a 7 digit local number.  So I wanted to learn more.  Now instead of using their dial plan verbatim I will add their 911 and 922 (911 test number) rules only to my dial string.

Anveo might allow e911 just fine and is apparently promoted by OBi but I remain confused on what exactly I will get and by their pricing.  GV911 takes my 911 input and turns it into their number and dials it immediately.  They then use my number showing up on their caller id to look up my address on file with them and pass my number, address, and the call to my local 911 center.  Makes sense.  And their billing also makes sense.  I set it up and I'm billed $12 and will get 1 year of service.  When the year is up they bill me another $12 and I get another year of service.  $1 per month for e911 is probably less than AT&T itemizes for 911 with taxes and fees on my $35+ monthly bill.  I'll be glad to say goodbye to AT&T.

Felix

Quote from: cj4331 on March 15, 2013, 08:53:59 PM
I'm signing up for GV911 and they asked me to change my dial plan to:
(<911:their number>S0|<922:their number>S0|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|
011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)
But a quick look suggested replacing mine with this one while allowing 911 would stop allowing me to dial a 7 digit local number.
Well, adding 911 and 922 by itself didn't stop allowing you to dial 7 digit local number. But removing <1336>[2-9]xxxxxx did. Put it back in and you can dial both 911 and 7-digits

cj4331

yes,  I haven't replace the string yet.  I was just reading through their instructions and looked at their plan vs mine and saw the 336.  I assumed that was for 7 digit dialing as it's my area code.  I can't remember if they had other differences in their plan as well but by that point I wanted to understand exactly how the plans worked.  I'll just add their stuff to mine now that I understand the plans.