News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SIP to Talkshoe

Started by mikefoley, March 25, 2013, 02:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikefoley

Hi,

I have an OBI202. Set up Google Voice and that works great. I'm kinda new to setting up SIP and was wondering if I could get an assist. I participate in a couple of podcasts that are hosted by Talkshoe.com. They have a SIP server that allows VOIP access from softphone clients by dialing SIP:talkshoe@66.212.134.192.

Many different instructions at the following:
http://sky.geocities.jp/new_japan_first/page003.html

http://worldmikel.xanga.com/674228241/worldmikel-with-talkshoe-gizmo5-and-sip/

How would I set that up on my Obi? After setup, would I dial **2 (provided it was set up as #2) and it would just connect?

Any help is much appreciated.
mike

QBZappy

Quote from: mikefoley on March 25, 2013, 02:00:06 PM
access from softphone clients by dialing SIP:talkshoe@66.212.134.192

Welcome,

The simplest thing to do is put 'talkshoe@66.212.134.192 ' in a speed dial. To call dial 'speeddial_number'+'#'
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

I use the technique QBZappy recommends.  It works very well but I like to specify the service provider in the speed dial as well.  If you specify the service provider you can just dial the speed dial number and wait for the timeout or press the # key. I listen to podcasts this way and connect to conferences.

Replace the x with whatever service provider you want to use.  The service provider you use to make the call must be set up for sip.  You can also use a fake sip account if you haven't configured a sip account.

spx(talkshoe@66.212.134.192)

The second post in this thread talks about setting up a fake sip account.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4977.0

Long live our new ObiLords!

mikefoley

I tried setting up the fake SIP on SP3. All I get is a fast busy. I only have Google Voice set up on SP1 and the router is behind a NAT router.

Setting up speed dial 1 as 123@66.212.134.192 seems to try to route thru Google Voice and gets rejected. (I get a human sounding voice saying it was rejected with error 400.)

Not sure where to go next.

thanks for the help so far...

ianobi

That post regarding the fake SIP provider was missing a line, which I have now added - it was noted further down in the thread. It should read:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1

Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName : (any letters or numbers)
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : D
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : unchecked

The example is for SP4 of an OBi202.

mikefoley

Thanks for the help ianobi.. Unfortunately, it's not working.

Set up SP4 exactly as you have it. Also ITSP Profile D.

Set the speed dial to

1st = sp4(123@66.212.134.192)
2nd = sp4(talkshoe@66.212.134.192)
3rd = 123@66.212.134.192

Disabled SIP ALG on the Netgear router

Rebooted the Obi202

Lift the hook and dial either 1# or 2# and I get what sounds like a connect but no answer. I checked the SP4 Service Status and see packets have been sent back and forth.

Lift the hook, dial 3#
"The number you dialed "sp4 123@66.212.134.192" was rejected by the service provider. The reason was four zero zero"

??

azrobert

You can call Talkshoe via Google Voice.
Just dial 17244447444.

mikefoley

That must be something new because a while back you couldn't call Talkshoe from GV.
Thanks...

At this point, I'd still like to figure out how to use SIP to call, if only as a learning exercise.

azrobert

I tried calling Talkshoe via SIP and got the same result as you.

If you check on the OBi Status ==> Call Status while the call is in session you can see the audio packets (RTP) going out, but none returning from Talkshoe.

I don't know why this is happening. Maybe one of the experts on the forum can figure out why.

ianobi

I just tried and got the same results as azrobert. Then I tried using PhonerLite Softphone - same failure. Then I added in stun server to PhonerLite (stun.ideasip.com) and it now works every time!

However, with stun set on my OBi it still does not work, but that might be something odd about my setup.

Looks like its worth trying stun.

azrobert

I resolved the audio problem by routing the call thru CallCentric.
This was easy for me because I already have a free CallCentric account.
This seems like a lot of trouble for you since you can call them via GV, but you said you wanted a learning experience.

Here is what you have to do:

Get a CallCentric Freedom account here:
http://www.callcentric.com/products/

Add a Speed Dial entry *7501 with a destination talkshoe@sip.talkshoe.com

Add an OBi Speed Dial:
sp4(*7501@callcentric.com;ui=17771234567:password)

"17771234567:password" is your CallCentric account number and password.

azrobert

Quote from: ianobi on March 26, 2013, 03:23:52 PM

I tried stun.3cx.com on the OBi and it didn't work.

Diana

Quote from: ianobi on March 26, 2013, 03:23:52 PM
I just tried and got the same results as azrobert. Then I tried using PhonerLite Softphone - same failure. Then I added in stun server to PhonerLite (stun.ideasip.com) and it now works every time!

However, with stun set on my OBi it still does not work, but that might be something odd about my setup.

I use:

sp2(talkshoe@66.212.134.192);  SP2 is setup with Anveo

In one of my speed dial (28) and was able to make a outgoing call by dialing 28#.  I have Stun set at:  stun.ideasip.com for SP2.

azrobert

I registered CallCentric on SP2 without STUN and now the OBi speed dial "sp2(talkshoe@sip.talkshoe.com)" works.

Here is the revised to do list:

Get a CallCentric Freedom account here:
http://www.callcentric.com/products/

Register CallCentric on SP4

Service Providers ==> ITSP Profile D ==> SIP ==> ProxyServer:  callcentric.com

Voice Services ==> SP4 Service
AuthUserName: 17771234567
AuthPassword: password
X_RegisterEnable : checked

Now your OBi speed dial "sp4(talkshoe@sip.talkshoe.com)"  should work.

Thanks Diana

ianobi

Diana's post made me think - something I should do more often  :)

We have all been using the "fake" SIP provider, which did not work with or without stun. Diana used a "real" SIP provider, which does work with stun.

We have had this problem before with voice gateways using a "fake" SIP provider. Even if you configure stun it does not get used unless you add the paramater to the vg access number, or in our case to the speed dial. With stun configured on my "fake" SIP provider (sp2 in my case) this does not work:
sp2(talkshoe@66.212.134.192)

This does work every time:
sp2(talkshoe@66.212.134.192;op=s)

@ mikefoley

Using your "fake" SIP provider on ITSP Profile D > General:
STUNEnable: check
STUNServer: stun.ideasip.com  (or stun server of your choice)

Set speed dial to sp4(talkshoe@66.212.134.192;op=s)

Talk about re-inventing the wheel every day! Now where did I leave my glasses ...   :D

QBZappy

ianobi,

+1

Elementary my dear Watson.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

zapattack

I have spent about a month with Obi support trying to determine why I could not hear on VG calls to sip.inum.net.  I normally use a router with DD-WRT software which has a Sip Express Router Option.
This did not solve the no RX problem. Switching to a D-Link DIR628 and enabling ALG support did work, but their software has other limitations for my configuration.
Using the 'op=s' option solved the problem. I should mention that calling 883510000000091 on any other route (GV, VOIP.MS, etc.) worked fine. Only the VG method failed.
Many thanks.