News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 202 - Unable to receive fax

Started by paleomjc, March 30, 2013, 12:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paleomjc

I recently installed an OBI 202 to replace my Time Warner VOIP service.  I have it connected to a Panasonic two-line phone (KX-TG6702).  I also have an HP Officejet 6500 MFP with fax.  One RJ11 cable goes from my house jack to the LINE port on the MFP and a second RJ11 goes from the EXT port to the LINE1 port on my phone.  A third RJ11 goes from another jack which connects to the old Verizon box outside (had to set this up for security system dialout through house wiring) to Phone 2 on the OBI.  SP2 is configured for this phone line and uses Axvoice for service.  I also have an RJ11 from the LINE2 port on the phone to Phone 1 on the OBI.  This is configured on SP1 and uses Google Voice for service.

I use LINE1 (Phone2/SP2 on the OBI) as home phone for voice and fax (and E911).  On LINE1, ring to answer count on all handsets is set to 5.  On MFP, ring to answer count is set to 6, according to specifications in the manual.  I have had this setup working for 7 years with Time Warner for sending and receiving faxes successfully.  With the OBI, this does not work.  I am able to send faxes but unable to receive.  If I watch the front panel when the fax call comes in, I can see the line ringing, but the MFP never seems to detect the fax tones to be able to receive.  The only way I can receive a fax is if I set the ring to answer count on the MFP to 5 or lower.  I obviously don't want to have to manually intervene like this to receive.  I never had to do do that with Time Warner.

I have tried lowering the baud rate to 9600 and disabling ECM but that does not change the result. I have also searched this forum for solutions but have found none.  Does anyone have any insight into how I can get this to work?

paleomjc

Just wanted to indicate that I seem to have solved my fax issue.  I swapped my cabling so that the voice/fax line now uses my GV service on SP1.  I set the ring count on that phone line to 4, leaving the ring count on the fax at 6, and also disabled ECM on the fax.  I now am able to repeatedly send and receive faxes.