News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 Randomly Rebooting (seemingly)

Started by JPSnuffy, April 01, 2013, 03:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPSnuffy

I have had my OBi202 for about a month now and use it exclusively for my work. I work from home and have to log into a VPN for work and then also use a software piece on my work pc to connect to the company phone switch so that inbound and outbound calls can be made over the company phone system. I have noticed that my OBi202 has been randomly dropping calls (when I look at my OBi202 device the Line1, Line2 are off and Power light is blinking) and rebooting (when I look at my OBi202 device all of the leds are off and the Power led is flashing red). >:(

I have my OBi202 connected to just a single Google Voice number that rings into a Panasonic wireless phone with 3 handsets and a base station. I found a setting in the device configuration page that was set for a default of 2 for MaxSessions and I changed it to 5 thinking that maybe when I called a customer and they conferenced someone else in it was causing the problem. ??? I will give it a try, but I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone else is having this issue with a similar setup.

UPDATE: Changing the conference setting did not help. I will change it back to default. I also did a firmware update yesterday even though it was not required. Twice so far today I have lost connection and the OBi202 rebooted hard. Right before the reboot both times I could hear static/clicking/interference on the line.

Thanks,
Glenn

CoalMinerRetired

A few pointers, but no direct, specific answer:

- See first post here to disable ALG in your router, it may address the dropped calls but not the random reboots: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

- Your VPN is presumably between your computer (i.e., you start a VPN client in/on your computer, not on your router, yes?) and your work network, therefore other devices attached to other ports on your router are not on nor affected by the VPN (other than the obvious having less bandwidth available). I'm just stating this so you know.

- You can look at the reboot times via either: 1) The ObiTalk Portal, or 2) Web Server-Based Local Configuration (also called The OBi Device Management Web Page also called direct IP  address interface), via Status > System Status > Uptime. You'll have to enter expert mode to see this via 1).  Caution, these two means to look at the device config trip up new users all the time. See this, and best advice is at first stick with the method, 1) or 2), you used to initially setup the device.

- You can commiserate in this thread, although your config, only one SP "slot" in use, does not match the two others (me being one of them) discussing the same issue: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5275.20

-Independent of the dropped calls issue, and lacking anything obvious to you, I'd suggest you log a trouble call with Obi Support for the mystery reboots. They can, for example, examine your configuration via the ObiTalk web portal (assuming you configured it via this method), setup sys logging, etc.

EDIT to add: Reboot reason codes. These codes appear in the System Uptime field, such as '12 Days 8:58:48 (6)'.  See the list here under Reboot Reason Codes.  If no code appears, then that is a true Mystery Reboot, if you see a code try to determine a cause.  Sorry, I should have remembered this as the first item to look at.

JPSnuffy

Thanks CoalMiner, I will check out those resources and update you on what happens.