News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unusual Experimenting: Set up SP4 to receive calls without provider?

Started by Shale, April 02, 2013, 10:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shale

Suppose I have a static address or dyndns set up.

I would like to be able to receive a SIP call to SIP:ShaleTest@11.22.33.44:4444 that would still work if the connection to a SIP provider were somehow lost. Could I, and if so how would I, set that up to my OBi202, preferably in OBiTalk?

Presume 11.22.33.44 is my IP number I have opened port 4444 to the OBi202. I understand I would still want to prevent SIP scanners. But since SIP scanners can make it in, I was thinking this may be possible.

ianobi

Shale,

This can be done easily within the same subnet see:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5141.msg33199#msg33199

Good contributions from QBZappy, hwittenb and azrobert shows that you can directly call out from and into an spX whether or not it has a service provider configured on it. You may wish to try that from a softphone on the same subnet, but it needs to be able to call without registration.

The next step you may wish to experiment with is calling in from a location not on the same subnet. Last time I tried I had audio problems, but I did not spend much time on it.

Shale

Thanks. It is not clear which post on that is more relevant to my situation. While I don't have a line port on my OBi202, I would figure to use SP4.

Reply #6 refers to getting calls from an APA. What I am looking to do is to have a call forwarded using a SIP:name@IP_Address from outside. Would that be equivalent to what an APA  as referenced in that thread would be doing?

QBZappy

Shale,

Calling using sip uri the way you described implies a computer is being used. In that case, you have an alternative method of calling. I'll let you in on the best kept secret about the OBi. A GTALK client can also be used to make a call to your OBi. Some advantages are that you don't have to worry about configuration issues or port forwarding.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

Using your example, anyone can call you directly at ShaleTest@11.22.33.44:4444 whether you have a voip provider configured on that spX or not. I was suggesting that you try it first from a softphone in the same subnet using the local IP address say ShaleTest@192.168.1.14:4444. Then start experimenting calling ShaleTest@11.22.33.44:4444 from a remote location.

SIP scanners can be kept out using the same AuthUserName as your voip provider on the same spX InboundCallRoute.