News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do you need a Google Voice account or will a Gmail account work with an Obi?

Started by Robert.Thompson, April 13, 2013, 08:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Rick

Robert.Thompson

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

QBZappy

Quote from: Rick on April 13, 2013, 09:01:38 AM
OBi requires a Google Voice account.

I'm not certain about that.

I used a gmail account without a GV and the OBi showed connected. If you make a call using a GTALK client I expect the OBi phone should ring. Using an acct without a GV tel number limits it usefulness since you can not call using a tel number.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

I'm absolutely certain you don't need a Google voice account to use with the OBI.  The only thing Google Voice provides to the OBi setup is incoming call services.  If you use a Gmail login without Google Voice you can call out.  I know because I am doing this.  I use an account not attached to Google Voice to provide me with truly anonymous calling.  If you don't have Google Voice added to the account Caller ID will show up as  (760) 705-8888.  You won't have an incoming phone number or voicemail.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5451.0

@QBZappy I don't think it limits it's usefulness.  I consider it a bonus because toll free numbers can uncover your real caller ID.  This can defeat services like trapcall.com.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

If you want to use an OBi as it is intended you need a GV account.