News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Offhook Forever

Started by Michael_Reeder, April 11, 2013, 01:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Reeder

Got my OBi100 working... on to the next problem child... a new OBi202...

I have a new OBi202 unit.  Utilizing a Panasonic KX-TG6511 DECT 6.0 wireless phone which has worked fine with another OBi100 unit previously -- and still does.  Successfully connected OBi202 unit initially and made call to echo talk test number 222 222 222.  Went into OBiTALK and called **5 number to get OBi202 detected and added as a device.  Seemingly successfully added Google Voice line under settings (it says connected).  At about exactly the time I added Google Voice or immediately afterwards the unit decided to receive a firmware update.  Ever since both of my phone lines have been blinking green in unison as though 2 phones are off-hook.  Have tried rebooting OBi202 and unplugging and replugging phone to power without success.  I have made no configuration changes to the defaults that come with the unit.  I can call the attendant through an OBiON android app and the attendant answers and will place outgoing calls through the Google Talk number -- so I know the OBi202 unit is at least online and partially functioning. 

How do I get dial tone again and get the line lights to stop blinking green?

OBihai support webform seems to be offline at the moment too.

Michael_Reeder

After a hard factory reset (on the theory that maybe the firmware update was screwed up) I get dialtone back.  When I call the echo talk **9 222 222 222 number it works for a moment, then the call abruptly cuts off as the unit loses power (red power light), then it comes back on but dial tone is lost again.

The phone lights are no longer blinking green, they are just off.

So now I'm likely totally screwed since the device is unregistered from the OBiTALK network -- so not sure any technicians can check it out when their webform does start working again...

Michael_Reeder

As I sit and watch the darn thing I see that once every several minutes it seems to power off and recycle (power line goes red for a moment).  Seems random in timing.

Tried a different power cord/AC adapter (as I happen to have an OBi100 with one) and a different power socket.  No dice.

Time to return this thing?

Michael_Reeder

Thought I might manually rollback to an old firmware version then (maybe) come back to the latest one.  In any case, take another shot at that firmware upgrade in case it hosed my unit.

Can't update from the handset (***6 I think) since handset does not work...

This old thread has instructions on how to manually do this:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Basically you download the firmware from the provided link and then you can log onto the OBi202 unit's built-in webserver through a browser interface.

The thread says OBi202s have a default IP address of 192.168.10.1.  No answer.

My firewall tells me its actually at http://192.168.0.101/

The OBi202 is not answering.  My OBi100 DOES answer when I go to the IP address provided by the firewall.

I'm out of ideas.

Shale

You can't get a dialtone on either phone jack, and you have tried a different phone and phone cable? I think you should return that unit for a working one.

Michael_Reeder

Shale -- I am thinking that too...

I got a response from OBihai Support (who apparently either got the support webform from me despite the webpage not responding or read this forum).  Appreciated their response.

They suggested trying a different 12 volt adapter -- which I did.  This seemed to work at first (confusing since I had tried this earlier... this is a 3rd 12 volt adapter I tried).

Okay... so with a different 12 volt adapter I called the configuration menu at ***, restored the factory reset again, tried to update firmware (said none available), called echo talk number **9222222222 (worked), and then added back to OBiTALK, and reconfigured for Google Voice.

Immediately upon configuring with Google Voice (supposedly successfully) the phone line when dead again.

So now I don't know whether:

a. It's something weird with Google Voice, or

b. The OBi202 unit magically decided to work again for a bit, its really got nothing to do with 12 volt adapters, then it died again, and I really should return this thing for another unit.

I feel a bit like it is teasing me.   >:( ::)

Michael_Reeder

OBihai technical support thinks this unit is hosed.  Returning it for exchange.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael_Reeder

I just want to follow-up on this old issue.  OBihai sent me a new OBi202 unit.  The new unit is working fine.  I appreciate the OBihai tech support and am returning the old unit -- so this was a defective unit issue. 

Thanks,
Michael

PizzaioloMike

To help others who encounter this problem I'll add to the thread. I have the same exact problem with my OBi202, specifically Phone 2 stays "Off Hook". In my situation, going into OBiTalk and reconfiguring SP2 (which is connected to Phone 2) without making any changes restores Phone 2 to "On Hook".  I can also make outgoing calls without the line dropping. But each incoming call drops after a few rings.

Now I have a replacement OBi202 en-route to me from Amazon since I suspect Phone 2 is bad.

Shale

Quote from: PizzaioloMike on July 15, 2013, 09:20:25 AM
To help others who encounter this problem I'll add to the thread. I have the same exact problem with my OBi202, specifically Phone 2 stays "Off Hook".
Unplug what is plugged in to the Phone 1 jack. I suspect that could be putting a load of some sort on the Phone 2 circuit. Alternatively, switch the cord plugged into Phone 1 to a 2-wire instead of a 4-wire cord.

Phone 1 jack has both P1 and P2 circuits connected to the jack.

Now why would this off-hook indication go away due to the software resetting? I don't have an answer to that, other than to suspect that the extra load is not as low-resistance as a normal off-hook phone.