News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to configure for an analog line?

Started by CCguy, April 20, 2013, 04:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCguy

Hi,

I was at the electronics store looking for a VOIP to Analog adapter and the guy recommended I purchase the Obi110.

I setup credit card terminals for businesses and need to download software onto the terminals through the phone line.

It's a real pain because some of the terminals require an analog line to complete the download, on VOIP there's communication errors and lost carriers.

So rather than paying for a dedicated AT&T analog phone line at $50 a month, which I'll only use a few times a month to complete a 20 minute download, I was looking into going VOIP because it's much cheaper. I've read that it's possible to convert the VOIP to analog with an adapter so the credit card machine can complete the download.

The guy at the electronics store said this obi110 would do the trick, I've configured it with google voice, and tested it with a phone... the calls go through, but when I hook up my credit card terminal and initiate the download I'm getting comm errors, I got these same errors when I tested it with vonage voip.

So basically this is still VOIP quality and doesn't work for my downloading credit card terminals!

Is there anything I can do to make this work properly so I don't need to shell out the $50 a month for an AT&T analog line?

Any and all help's appreciated - I don't know, maybe this guy didn't know what he was talking about, but he seemed really confident this obi110 was what I needed. Even if you know another way around this issue besides using the obi110 I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-CCguy

zapattack

You may want to search this forum and DSLreports
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip
for FAX (which is low speed data) problems.
Basically, not all VoIP Service Providers support FAX signals, and there may be other settings to configure, so you should start with a Service Provider that supports FAX service.