News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Real progress tones with Google Voice?

Started by TokyoJimu, May 13, 2013, 01:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TokyoJimu

Is there an option to allow me to hear the real progress tones (ringing, busy, etc.) when using Google Voice instead of locally generated (and not always accurate) ones?

For example, call 818-995-0699, a busy test number, through Obi/GV and notice you just hear it ring forever instead of the busy tone it's really giving.

Similarly, dialing 619-364-0699 gives one ringback tone and then the busy signal.

My office PBX gives a different ringback tone to indicate when the person you're calling is already on the phone, and I'd like to be able to hear this too. Likewise the "toll saver" ring on my voicemail indicating I don't have any new messages.

For my regular SIP account, I just had to set "progressinband=yes". Is there some similar setting I can make on the Obi to give me real in-band progress tones on the Obi when using Google Voice?

CoalMinerRetired

Try DTMFMethod, found under Service Providers > ITSP Profile > General.

Description is Method to pass DTMF digits to peer device. Available choices are:
Inband - DTMF tone are sent as inband audio signal. <-- Only for an Obo110 on the PSNT port.
RFC2833 - DTMF tone events are relayed per RFC2833.
SIPInfo - DTMF tones are relayed with SIP INFO request.
Auto - Method to use based on call setup negotiation (either Inband or RFC2833 may be negotiated).

Since you mentioned Google Voice, also search on "early media", it's a telephony feature that GV does not support, and is the likely cause of the ring forever on the first example you cited.

BTW, what you are asking about are known as Ringback Tones or Ringback Signals.  Also, I'd question if your description of "locally generated ..." signals is accurate. It's a worldwide standard that the signals are generated by the central office switch serving the number you called, there are some one-off exceptions in various countries (that deliver advertising), but in using GV for a year or so, I've never heard it use it's own ringback signals, including when making international calls.