News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone hangup when I'm talking

Started by timw, May 13, 2013, 09:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timw

Hi. I have an OBi110 and an OBi100. The Obi110 is connected to my POTs line in the basement, the OBi100 to my phone in my upstairs office. Mostly I simple route traffic between the two (can't put in physical wiring).

They work great, except I often get random hangups. This *always* happens when I'm the one doing the talking, even if that's the minority of the time (which is often the case when dialing into conference calls). Has anyone else experience this, and does anyone have suggestions of anything I can adjust, OBi config wise, to help?

Thanks

CoalMinerRetired

No explicit answer. But first look at is the Call History logs, to determine if (the Obi thinks) you the caller, or the called party ended the call. 

It's a subtle difference in the log entries, and varies by model (100, 100 and 202).  It's easier to say make two calls and end one each way to see the difference in the entries than to explain it here.  They start your troubleshooting from that perspective.

timw

Thanks. Looking at the logs for both devices, it would appear that the incoming POTS line is initiating the hangup. Any more help greatly appreciated.

CoalMinerRetired

To clarify a point, you are routing traffic, and therefore calls, from an OBi110 (POTS) to an OBi100 using SIP, as in these methods, 1, 2?

Can we presume you do not have the hangup issue when doing a call out "directly" through the Obi110/POTS device (analog phone hooked up to 110, no Obi100 in the picture)?  If yes, that would point to something that the SIP connection between the two devices causes the POTS line to think the call should end? I'm theorizing here.

timw

I'm routing over an OBiTrunk. For the moment I've disabled all the ways the OBi110 can detect a POTS disconnect, so the line should only disconnect if the phone end hangs-up. We'll see how that works (at least it might provide more debug data).

CoalMinerRetired

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out.

And a point of clarification on the log showing which terminal caused the call to end. That is not absolute, in most cases it shows correct. I had a unrepeatable, unpredictable issue where the logs showed the one and only analog phone (on an Obi202) was causing the call end. But clearly that was not the case, the device itself was flaking out, becoming unresponsive and a call would mysteriously drop, bit it was logged as the analog phone ended the call. An FYI, thought about this after I posting it.

infin8loop

Go to Physical Interfaces - Line Port and change SilenceTimeThreshold to 600 or more. The default of 60 will allow you to talk for a minute straight with no response from the other side and you will be disconnected. This bit me early on when the wife talks non-stop to her sister and the call would drop... leading her to assume the Obi was a POS. At 600 she's bound to take a breath before passing out, allowing her sister to get a word in edgewise. If you have to drone on for more than 10 minutes at a time, make it greater than 600.  ;D
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Rick

Sometimes on business calls this has happened.  I just changed mine to 600 also.

CoalMinerRetired

Interesting. I regularly dial in to conference calls and listen in without speaking for an hour at a time and I don't see this behavior.

Footnote: I was getting mystery reboots in the middle of calls, but that seems to have been solved.  Do you happen to have CallCentric setup on any of your SPs?