News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Basictalk.

Started by Ostracus, June 03, 2013, 03:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostracus

Looks like the VOIP adapter market is heating up with Walmart's Basictalk. Wonder if that's why Obihai released the Obi200?

Smee

Sure does.  That's interesting that Walmart would get into this game.  At a little over $60 a year, it is still much cheaper than what I used to pay AT&T.  Actually, I used to pay around $40 a month before.  ;D
$9.99 a month isn't that bad.  I wonder if we can use the Obi instead of their unit though...

Smee

JayRob

Walmart's BasicTalk is Vonage at a discount rate... Also they lock the admin setting in the VOiP adapter by changing the admin password. I am trying to crack the device, I own it I should have control, darn it...

giqcass

Let me know how you do. I was thinking about buying one just to crack.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Smee

Quote from: JayRob on June 03, 2013, 08:54:00 PM
Walmart's BasicTalk is Vonage at a discount rate... Also they lock the admin setting in the VOiP adapter by changing the admin password. I am trying to crack the device, I own it I should have control, darn it...

Looks like someone has figured out how to unlock the BasicTalk at DSL Reports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,28597028.  Don't know what that would mean in terms of perhaps being able to grab the credentials and using the Obi instead.  :)  Would be real interesting if we could.

Smee

RFord

Quote from: Smee on August 28, 2013, 08:43:36 PM
Don't know what that would mean in terms of perhaps being able to grab the credentials and using the Obi instead.  :)  Would be real interesting if we could.

Smee

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to put Vonage credentials on an OBi Device?  For starters, you can use GV credentials for free, instead of paying $9.99+Fees+Taxes.  You can get credentials from other paid VOIP providers which, depending on your total per minute usage, will be much less than the total cost of the monthly Vonage service.

The Vonage device is attractive because you only pay $9.99 for the device at Walmart and getting it unlock, will give you a cheap 1-port device for less than $10.00, which can be use with any paid VOIP provider.  Could also be used with GV credentials if you go the third party route (Simonics).

giqcass

I bought 2 of these device because they were on sale.  I paid a little less then $5 for both.  I used the method to crack the devices.  I can see why people would want to switch the credentials over.  It's a very basic device so using the credentials on an Obi might be attractive to some.  The hack does not seen to help you get the credentials however.

On the other hand if you just want a cheap ATA this device is for you.  It can be used as an extension of they Obi device.  You could forward calls to it from the Obi.  Then you can have extra lines or extra extensions.  They can essentially give you extra phone ports on your OBi device which can be placed locally or at a remote location anywhere you have an internet connection.
Long live our new ObiLords!