News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID Name Outgoing?

Started by paulb787, June 11, 2013, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb787

Alright I have done my research and just want to make sure I am right here. Calling within the unites states with google voice the people I call will see "unknown caller"? Is there no way around this?

Question: Does google voice dip into Cnam. if you had a listed cnam will it go through?

CoalMinerRetired

> Calling within the unites states with google voice the people I call will see "unknown caller"?
In general yes.

>Is there no way around this?
Possibly, other than the approach mentioned below you do not have any direct explicit control of this. 

It sounds like you already know how Caller ID and CNAM work, the important point is they are two different fields handled two different ways. When you port a number, say from T-Mobile to AT&T, T-Mobile sends an update when the port out happens (to the national CNAM provider) and your CNAM field is blanked out. Then AT&T is supposed to update (the national CNAM provider) with your new name, even if you want it to be the same as under T-Mobile. In theory there's a small period of time when your name is blank.

When you port to GV, they do not send anything, so no updates are ever sent. However, in my experience, sometimes the name from a ported number stays there, sometimes for a long while. In most cases it does not stay and becomes 'blank' or whatever they use for UNKNOWN.

For totally new GV numbers that are nor ported from somewhere, my experience is they all show 'CITY        STATE'. What they do not show and will not ever show is your actual name.

> Does google voice dip into CNAM?
No. But dip into CNAM only applies to calls you receive, whereas what you asked above applies to outbound calls you place.

> if you had a listed cnam will it go through?
Yes, just like any normal call.  See this thread for some insights.

This in my opinion only, it is a premium fee to have your name not listed under POTS phone companies, so you can think of GV giving you something for free that the POTS companies asked you to pay for monthly. Also, I'd be careful that listing your name via the third party '411' providers is also you giving those providers the right to sell your name to advertisers, and/or to send you email or printed advertising, and/or to sell your number to telemarketers. That's how they make their money.

Shale

Paul, see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6097.0;topicseen who would like to hide his caller ID for outbound GV calls.

Maybe you two could share you setup with each other.  ;)