News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI stops ringing phones

Started by patman, June 11, 2013, 03:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patman

My Obi202 periodically stops ringing.  I'm using Google voice and the OBI is connected to a Westell router/DSL modem.  It seems to be related to the way the router releases and renews the WAN IP address sometime between 12:00 AM and 5:00 AM each day.  I've been able to duplicate it by forcing the router to release and renew the Connection.   After the router releases and renews the IP address and if the router gets a different WAN IP the Obitalk service is still registered to the old IP address and phone won't ring.   If I then reboot the Obi everything works.   I'm assuming that GV is registers the WAN IP  in some similar fashion to OBItalk.   Is there some setting I'm missing? 
I really need help since my wife if ready to divorce me and  I'm only forestalling her by waking up before her and manually rebooting the Obi.

Shale

Try telling the modem router to always give your OBi the same IP number each time.

QBZappy

patman,

You might try using a Google DNS server 8.8.8.8 as your DNS setting in your router. Note that I'm not certain of the results in your case.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

patman

Thanks for your help.  I've tried using a static IP address for the OBI with similar results.  I have tried using a Public DNS server called OpenDNS with same results. 

It's the WAN DHCP lease that my Westell modem/router gets from my ISP that expires.  It appears that the OBI somehow gets the original WAN IP address and saves it internally.  Then when the lease expires and the Westell modem/router has a new WAN IP number the OBI still has the old one and is unreachable.

Jackson

From the FAQ/202

"The OBi is Using openDNS & the Google Voice Status Always Says Backing Off
You cannot use openDNS with the OBi. To workaround this issue, please do the following:
• Modify the DNSServer1 parameter value by accessing the OBi's web page.
• Select System Management from the left-side navigation menu
• Select Network Settings
• Locate the parameter called: DNSServer1
• Make DNSServer1 = 4.2.2.2 (This is a free public DNS server)
• Select Submit to save and Reboot the OBi
The OBi should no longer show Backing Off."

http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html

QBZappy

patman,

Another thing to try. If your router has automatic DNS updating ability this may help:

Service Providers
    ITSP Profile A/B
        General
        SIP->X_PublicIPAddress = DynDNS name
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

patman

Thanks for your help but still having the same problem.

Jackson, I'm currently using DHCP from my router so it's dynamically assigning a DNS server.  I've also tried a Static IP address.  Both resulted in the same intermittent problem.

QBZappy, as far as I can tell my router doesn't support DDNS.

Any other suggestions?

QBZappy

patman,

gigcass has figured out how to get a DDNS feature directly on the OBi. Have a look at his signature for a link on how to do it. It might help.

artmirza

make sure u have not activated "do not disturb"  *78
to deactivate *79.