News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

dial up

Started by snowinpalm, June 22, 2013, 11:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowinpalm

Does Obi Talk work ok with dial-up?

Shale

Quote from: snowinpalm on June 22, 2013, 11:03:00 AM
Does Obi Talk work ok with dial-up?

Are you asking if the OBiTalk website would work well with dial-up internet access? Since the OBiTalk website is used for configuration rather than configuration, then yes, I see no reason that would not work if there was a way for the LAN to be connected to the internet. The computer might do internet sharing. I presume you have that part working.  So you could have an OBi configured by that website. Now would there be a good reason to do that? Only if you are setting up the OBi for use elsewhere where you have an always on higher speed internet connection elsewhere. I doubt that the OBi110 would add a lot of utility vs just hooking a phone to the analog line. It is not going to let you do internet and voice at the same time probably. Not impossible, but you would need a special low bitrate codec to pull that off.

However if you wanted to do voice communication through a dialup connection using the OBi that the OBiTalk website configured, then I am pretty sure the answer would be no if you are looking to use GV or SIP providers. You would want to do all of the voice communication through the Line port of the OBi110.

If my comments are not clear enough, perhaps you can describe in more detail what you had in mind.