News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 Do Not Answer POTS / Hotphone

Started by PortableTech, July 01, 2013, 07:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PortableTech

Greetings All,

I have a bit of a unique situation and I am trying to determine the best method for setting it up.  First off, I am in the middle of no where Afghanistan, and use my OBi110 to make calls home using Vitelity.  In the building where I live, we have what we call a hotphone.  It is used for reporting in when there is an emergency.  You pick up the line and it instantly rings through to our office.  Additionally, our office can call a special number to make the phone ring in our building.

I want to hook up my OBi110 as an additional phone on that hotphone line so that I can chose to answer an inbound call if I hear the other phones in the bay ringing.  I do not want the OBi110 to auto-answer the line however as the other phones need to keep ringing if i do not answer.  Additionally, if there is a situation I want to be able to pickup my phone and just dial **8 to have it pick up the POTS port without dialing a number.  As it stands now I need to dial **8 and some number or the OBi just times out, though this does work to get the hotline picked up. 

Perhaps the same solution could be used where the OBi110 would not answer the POTS line ever, but if the line is ringing and I dial **8 it would then pick it up.

I hope this all makes sense and appreciate any assistance you can provide.

--PortableTech

Shale

As a start, try dialing # to connect the OBi phone to the line. I think that is right.

If that works, then you can get fancier. If that doesn't work, then more basic troubleshooting is needed.

PortableTech

Yes, just dialing # seems to immediately pickup the POTS line which in turn immediately starts to ring the office.

--PosrableTech

PortableTech

Update:

While dialing # does work to pickup the line if it is not in use, it does not work to pick up the line if it is already in use, instead it just gives me a busy signal. 

ianobi

By default normally pressing # gives you PSTN dial tone if the line is free or fast busy if the PSTN line is in use by a parallel device.

Enable this:
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Calling Features > EnableLINEPortBargeIn

Now pressing # gives you PSTN dial tone if the line is free or you join the existing call if the line is in use.

Edit: corrected which port this feature is in.

PortableTech

I do not seem to have that option.  I checked both the Obi Expert config, and the local web config for the Obi.

The only options I see under Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > Calling Features  are

CallForwardUnconditionalEnable      
CallForwardUnconditionalNumber      
CallForwardOnBusyEnable      
CallForwardOnBusyNumber      
CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable      
CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber         
CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount      
AnonymousCallBlockEnable      
DoNotDisturbEnable   
BridgedOutboundCallMaxDuration

PortableTech

I found the feature, it is located under

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Calling Features

ianobi

You are quite right - just goes to show how bad my memory is  :)

Enable this:
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Calling Features > EnableLINEPortBargeIn

I'll change my original post in case it confuses others.

zapattack

Star Code 29:
*96, Barge In, set($Bar1,1)