News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

CallCentric 911 and Block Inbound?

Started by LeeG, July 04, 2013, 09:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeG

My Setup:I have a Obi100, with Google Voice on SP1 and CallCentric on SP2. SP2 is set for 911, with no outbound/inbound intended.

I would like to ensure I receive no calls from the CC number. I'm not clear on how to do that, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I do that, how does that affect 911? I assume if I would call 911 and get disconnected, they would try to call back on the CC number. Is that right and is there a way to address that?

azrobert

In your Callcentric account define a Call Treatment. Use the defaults for a new Call Treatment except redirect calls to "Number Disconnected".

giqcass

If you can specify a different number for 911 return calls then add one and disable if you like.

Otherwise.........

I would not recommend disabling inbound calls for your 911 provider.  If you call 911 and lose the connection or hang up they will call you back.  If they can't get through you will most likely get a visit from an officer.  If there is not an emergency this is a bad thing.  If there is an emergency you might not get the proper help in a timely manner.  

You can dial 933 to see what information is being passed to 911.
Long live our new ObiLords!

CoalMinerRetired

I agree with giqcass, even if you block all incoming calls, you will always want to receive return calls from a 911 service. Ahead of time you don't know, nor will you ever be guaranteed what the CallerID will be for a returned call, it might be UNKNOWN/PRIVATE or an actual number for your PSAP.

LeeG

Thanks all for the help and thoughts. I agree that blocking inbound 911 is probably not the way to go.  I could redirect to my Google Voice number and go through its normal call screen, but that's only marginally better if at all.

Basically one of the reason I've gone the GV route in the first place is to minimize, if not eliminate, the unwanted calls I get nearly daily. The national "do not call" call list is a joke and there are too many ways around it anyway. So, GV seems to be doing its job in that regard. It feels good to block a number in GV and know that I won't run to the phone for them anymore.

Then there's 911. CC handles that, but did I close one door just to open another for unwanted calls? Will I get junk calls from people thinking I'm in NY on the CC number?  Am I worried about a problem that doesn't yet exist? These are questions I ask myself.

If anyone has any suggestions on how best to get both the privacy I want and the proper 911 service I need, please pass them on.  At the moment, it appears that keeping my existing configuration, not blocking inbound 911, and hoping I don't have a spam magnet on my CC number is the way to go.

Stan.

Sounds like you have the free NY DID.  Have you seen this in the Terms of Use?

Each Free Phone Number must receive call(s) from the PSTN totaling at least one (1) completed minute of use every three (3) months; or they may be removed from your account without warning.

Also, CallCentric and others (Anveo, etc.) say that they provision numbers for 911 display/callback that are different from your DID number -- and DIRECTLY ring your ATA -- for the precise reason that call treatments (or IVR, call flows, etc.) could prevent call completion on a 911 callback.

What did CallCentric have to say about your question when you asked them?

EDIT: Most folks get the NY DID so they can forward Google Voice through CallCentric to get free Caller Name.  Are you using it this way?  If not, is there another reason for having the DID configured?  You should be able to just subscribe to the outgoing pay per minute (and 911) without a DID.

azrobert

Repeat. Define a Call Treatment in Callcentric to block calls. If the Call Treatment I suggested in my first post will block 911 calls, then just block the N.Y. phone number.

I would think a call to the N.Y. DID that was routed to the Number Disconnected message would be counted for the Callcentric minimum inbound minutes.

If you don't want to use the N.Y. DID why do you have it?

carl

I have the "free" NYC DID from Callcentric since they offered it and so far I received only about 3-4 misdialed  calls, btw from polite people and about 2 solicitation calls. That's not too bad and better than with my other DID's or even my 2 cell phones.

CoalMinerRetired

Agree with the above. I use a CC line with a NY number forwarded from GV (for the CNAM) and I have 911. In about 12 months of use I've had two or three junk calls, two of which were robo calls that I presume they called every number in the exchange.

giqcass

I decided to research this issue.

Quote from: Callcentric SupportHello,

Calls from the 911 dispatcher are always routed to the extension (used to place the 911 call). Those calls DO NOT follow the Call Treatment rules.
Long live our new ObiLords!

RFord

I'm here scratching my head trying my best to understand why you even have a Callcentric DID in the first place (even if it is free).  The whole idea of a DID is to get incoming calls.  If you do not want incoming on your DID, you should get rid of it.  Do you get the point?